Official Review: When It's Over by Barbara Ridley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Re: Official Review: When It's Over by Barbara Ridley

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a very nice and insightful review. Good to hear that although the author touched on some difficult subjects, the facts are not overwhelming given how some people may react to reading such. I'm a fan of historical fan and this will have to go to my 'want to read' shelf. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

From your review, this sounds like a wonderful historical fiction with well-developed characters. In sampling the book, I thought Lena was a relatable character. It is good to know that she is well written throughout the book along with secondary characters like Muriel. Thank you for a great review, I will be adding this book to my want to read shelf.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I can remember watching movies centered around WW11 where the Jewish people experienced extremely cruel treatment from the Nazis and were separated from their families. This book would also do well as a movie. Thank you for your wonderful review of this book.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

I added this book to my not interested in reading shelf. From the cover to the genre, just not a fan of history or World War II.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Generally, I love historical fiction books, but tend to shy away from war-based stories. Still, it wouldn't hurt to have a fresh perspective on the Hitler regime and the ways it affected people, a glimmer into the past that wouldn't be available in a history textbook. The well-defined characters equally bring life to the work. Thanks for the thorough review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
SP33DY+H33DY+R3ADY
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by SP33DY+H33DY+R3ADY »

To be honest. I usually read the available material and then decide whether to click the button 'Yes, I've read the free sample'; but this time I clicked it before reading.

I do not believe in history, especially the type portrayed in this book; yet of the material I had read, as always there is qualities of characters that are most notable and a lot to learn from.
Dori Lee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dori-lee.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dori Lee »

Wonderful review. I can see that you really enjoyed Lena's story, as well as her growth. This is not my cup of tea, but I will recommend it to some of my friends. Thank you.
jenprice917
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jenprice917 »

I seem to gravitate to this era in my book choices and this one has been added to my list. Thank you for this thorough review!
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

While I do not think that this is a book that I would personally enjoy and be able to really get into, I do have a few friends that I would recommend it to based on the review.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Excellent job on review, very inciteful. This does sound like an emotional drama. It may even cause readers to have tearful moments as it is based on a true story in such perilous times. I think it can help others struggling with decisions to be themselves or to stand by there views. Especially when you were not sure the person ideas you may be following are the right ones, and finally decide that you do not agree, you will make a change with out hesitation or guilt. The examples of Lena growing may help u understand that it's ok to grow in a different direction than you started. Although I think this could be an good read, I have not decided if I will read it.
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this is an interesting historical fiction centering around WWII. While it is not my favorite genre, this story is definitely worth a look. Well done.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story written in the perspective of WWII with real characters sounds interesting. Great review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Why I will read this book; 1. It falls on one of my favourite genre, historical fiction. 2. As mentioned in the review, it's different from many other war-based stories. 3. It's realistic. and lastly, it's written in a clear and easy to read format. Thank you for your kind review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Every word of the 'Official Review: When It's Over by Barbara Ridley' reflects a sense of responsibility of the reviewer towards the society. It is saturated with information and is potent!
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

Examining the time of the Second World War from the standpoint of hindsight, we are able to see many of the actions that were taken against certain individuals thereby leaving them vulnerable, such as the Czechoslovakian Jewish population. In Hitler’s quest for power, no one was safe, but from the perspective of a single person, it was understandable quite difficult to know what or who to believe. As each of the characters navigates their own reality he or she must confront his or her own interpretation of what is to be considered the “truth” in an environment that is peppered with propaganda meant to turn human beings against each other and make people question themselves as well. This period of time in world history is thought-provoking from a human interest perspective because so many were lead to believe so many “truths” that were a pure fallacy. The perspective of young people in that time frame is particularly poetic because they are particularly open to suggestion. This sounds like a good case study novel of this phenomenon.

Return to “Historical Fiction”