Official Review: When It's Over by Barbara Ridley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: When It's Over by Barbara Ridley

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When It's Over" by Barbara Ridley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barbara Ridley’s historical fiction novel, When It’s Over, is a beautifully written story centered around the political situation in England during World War II. Based on a true story, it’s shown through the eyes of Lena, a young Jewish woman from Czechoslovakia.

Lena meets Otto, a German escapee who is active in intelligence gathering, in a small café in Prague in 1938 where she comes to hear news of the fighting on the front line. Swept away by her belief in the left-wing activists and their fight against Hitler, she moves with Otto to Paris to continue his work.

As Hitler steadily works his way through Europe, Lena fears for her family, especially her mother and younger sister, still in Prague. Reuniting with Otto in England, Lena has to learn to make a life of her own in a foreign country. With propaganda on every side, no one is sure of the truth of what’s happening in Europe, and Lena’s worry grows. With her growing political awareness and her changing relationship with Otto, she comes to learn that nothing is certain in war-torn England. With all this uncertainty, will she ever be able to find her family again?

Set in Prague, Paris, and England, during the years 1938 to 1945, this book is different in many ways from other war-based stories which I have read. This looks at the various political beliefs of young people during this time, as they lose their trust in their leaders’ capabilities and war tactics. While this may make the story sound a bit dry, it is anything but.

Beautifully written in third person, the fact that this is based on true happenings makes the story even more poignant. Lena is a wonderfully written main character with an innocence and naivety about her, especially at the beginning, which is very realistic. Her development was great to read, as she started to grow in both her courage and her own views, determined to make something of her life. Otto comes across realistically as an avid believer in his own personal views, determined that everyone should think the same as him. I tended to not like him very much by the end, but could easily see how his behaviour was a reaction to his circumstances. The other characters were all three dimensional and believable, from Muriel, an English gentlewoman who was rebelling against her own society to do her bit to help escaping Europeans, to Eva, Lena’s friend, who was focused on herself and improving her own situation, no matter who it hurt.

An interesting perspective shown here was how the English public reacted to propaganda concerning “foreigners”. I found it heartbreaking that these people who had been through so much to get to the safety of England, were only then to face mass hysteria by people thinking that just because they had an accent it meant that they were a spy for Hitler.

With difficult subjects touched on in this book such as gas chambers, the Holocaust, death, and grief, the author never let it get too overwhelming. The writing was in a clear, easy to read style, and I found no editorial mistakes. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a coming of age story about family, love, politics, grief, and hardship in a war-torn country. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with an interest in World War II, as well as those who like stories based on true happenings. A brilliant novel which is obviously written from the heart.

When It's Over
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rashka_Jr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Rashka_Jr »

Wow! This is a fantastic review covering almost everything in the novel!
There is no doubt that you have read the book completely!
Meanwhile I am new to the forum and would want to know more about book review! So may I know how many days does it take to go through a whole book.
thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy stories written about WWII that aren't from the usual perspective. There was so much going on at the time, but sometimes we only focus on one aspect. Sounds like this is a great story. Thanks for showing it to us!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
drdcpmd
Favorite Author: Diane Pomerantz
Favorite Book: Lost in the Reflecting Pool
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
fav_author_id: 109369

Post by drdcpmd »

Definitely want to read the book!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm loving it, certainly a book for me! I love memoirs and stories that are inspired by true stories. Certainly adding it to my book shelf. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

micoleon13 wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 16:52 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When It's Over" by Barbara Ridley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Barbara Ridley’s historical fiction novel, When It’s Over, is a beautifully written story centered around the political situation in England during World War II. Based on a true story, it’s shown through the eyes of Lena, a young Jewish woman from Czechoslovakia.

Lena meets Otto, a German escapee who is active in intelligence gathering, in a small café in Prague in 1938 where she comes to hear news of the fighting on the front line. Swept away by her belief in the left-wing activists and their fight against Hitler, she moves with Otto to Paris to continue his work.

As Hitler steadily works his way through Europe, Lena fears for her family, especially her mother and younger sister, still in Prague. Reuniting with Otto in England, Lena has to learn to make a life of her own in a foreign country. With propaganda on every side, no one is sure of the truth of what’s happening in Europe, and Lena’s worry grows. With her growing political awareness and her changing relationship with Otto, she comes to learn that nothing is certain in war-torn England. With all this uncertainty, will she ever be able to find her family again?

Set in Prague, Paris, and England, during the years 1938 to 1945, this book is different in many ways from other war-based stories which I have read. This looks at the various political beliefs of young people during this time, as they lose their trust in their leaders’ capabilities and war tactics. While this may make the story sound a bit dry, it is anything but.

Beautifully written in third person, the fact that this is based on true happenings makes the story even more poignant. Lena is a wonderfully written main character with an innocence and naivety about her, especially at the beginning, which is very realistic. Her development was great to read, as she started to grow in both her courage and her own views, determined to make something of her life. Otto comes across realistically as an avid believer in his own personal views, determined that everyone should think the same as him. I tended to not like him very much by the end, but could easily see how his behaviour was a reaction to his circumstances. The other characters were all three dimensional and believable, from Muriel, an English gentlewoman who was rebelling against her own society to do her bit to help escaping Europeans, to Eva, Lena’s friend, who was focused on herself and improving her own situation, no matter who it hurt.

An interesting perspective shown here was how the English public reacted to propaganda concerning “foreigners”. I found it heartbreaking that these people who had been through so much to get to the safety of England, were only then to face mass hysteria by people thinking that just because they had an accent it meant that they were a spy for Hitler.

With difficult subjects touched on in this book such as gas chambers, the Holocaust, death, and grief, the author never let it get too overwhelming. The writing was in a clear, easy to read style, and I found no editorial mistakes. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a coming of age story about family, love, politics, grief, and hardship in a war-torn country. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys historical fiction with an interest in World War II, as well as those who like stories based on true happenings. A brilliant novel which is obviously written from the heart.

When It's Over
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
I enjoyed reading your review. It really made me want to get the book and read it. I love historical books. So will surely read this.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Thanks for the review! I love WW2 books. There are so many profound perspectives from that era. This book sounds like a must read!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I've written it down on my list of books to be checked. I am interested in war-related stories because I think people have a lot to learn from them so that they do not repeat the same mistakes over and over again. Thank you for a very good review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

It seems like an interesting book, I love historical subjects, especially if they're mixed with a good story. Thank you for the review, it really encouraged me to read the book.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Wow! Sounds like a really great book. I will be adding this one to my shelves. Excellent review, it was quite thorough!
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I love stories with a dystopia-like setting and world wars...Your review makes it even more riveting and provocative!
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

I liked the fact that your review analyses multiple dimensions of the work, studying the behavior of human beings as the basis for appraisal.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

This sounds like a great book! I love that it takes place in different cities and looks at the reactions of the English towards immigrants (an often untold piece of history). Great review!
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

World War ll is one of the most haunting events modern history.. I look forward to reading this one.

Thank you for the review!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Sounds like such an interesting book. Thanks for the review

Return to “Historical Fiction”