Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by psychopathycathy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American River: Tributaries" by Mallory M. O'Connor.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I was scrolling through books for review, this one caught my eye. As an immigrant, I absolutely love the diversity that America is so proud of; at the same time, however, I have to admit that I am ignorant about some other cultures and some other immigrant stories. I thought this book would be an eye-opening read and a chance to broaden my view of the world—and I was right. American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O’Connor is a poignant story about three immigrant families living in California—one Irish, one Japanese, and one Mexican. The story actually begins all the way back in the mid 1800s, with the ancestors of these families. But Owen and Marian’s story starts in June of 1959, and when Marian leaves their family ranch to become an artist, the families’ different stories become one, even years later.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. What I love about this book is how realistically it depicts diversity and culture. This book was not a story about a picture perfect family, or about a hero with a tragic backstory; the story felt real. I think this is a book that many people, especially those who have found themselves in an unfamiliar environment, could relate to. In fact, American River: Tributaries hit very close to home for me personally, as I am an immigrant myself and have often heard stories about how hard my parents had to work to get our family to where it is today.

I thought that this book, in terms of plot, could have some improvements in terms of flow. There are some time jumps and some scene changes between different families, and sometimes they were a bit hard to follow. Although I loved the diverse character cast, I also had trouble remembering which story matched up with who and where they had previously left off. I still really liked how the story spanned several generations and how, at the end, it seemed to come full circle and revisit relationships between some of the earlier characters.

Speaking of the characters, I think they were very realistic in the way that they acted, but like I mentioned before it was sometimes overwhelming and difficult to follow so many. The cast of characters at the beginning helped, but I would have liked it if the story delved into more depth about a smaller cast. For example, one of the character arcs especially stood out to me—the book followed the development of someone who was queer and was struggling to come to terms with their own identity and with their position in the world. I respect the author very much for addressing such a modern and relevant issue.

I think the author did an amazing job of striking a balance between a pragmatic and a romanticized storyline. For example, one of my favorite character pairings was Mary Katherine McPhalan, also known as Kate, and Tommy Ashida. They had an extremely interesting relationship dynamic because of differences in race and culture, and I found this also extremely relatable, as I am someone who has struggled to reconcile with both Western and Asian traditions. Kate and Tommy’s storyline was almost bittersweet, but I thought it was a beautiful representation of the melting pot America is known as.

The writing style was also great, and I especially loved the line that explained how humanity was linked together, like tributaries of a stream. I only found one error in the entire book, which was a missing period. One thing I do have to mention though, is that there is one line that I felt extremely uncomfortable with. During a sex scene between a male and a female character, the girl calls the male an animal and follows that with, “You practically raped me.” She then says that she loved it. Though the two characters were having consensual sex, it seems as though the extremity of rape is removed and disregarded in this sentence and almost placed in a positive context. The author probably did not intend for it to seem this way, but I personally feel like this line was in very poor taste.

Overall, however, I would still recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of memoirs, historical fiction, or contemporary novels. In fact, anyone who is interested in reading about the lives of immigrants and different cultures would probably enjoy this read, and it certainly is eye-opening, especially since America is currently in such a state of political turmoil.

American River: Tributaries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like psychopathycathy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The cultural diversity and historical details seem to provide all the facts that a hungry reader would want, but I feel this book is more towards the people who are of interest in this genre. Thanks for the detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Somehow I didn't think this was about immigrants. I don't think this one is for me, but I do appreciate your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I also love books about immigrants because their stories are so interesting and inspiring!
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

This did sound pretty interesting up until you pointed out that they make light of rape. I'm sure there are couples out there that joke about this kind of thing, but putting that in a book is a sure way to make the readers feel a little uncomfortable.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Your review made me curious to check the book for myself. Thank you.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

This is a great topic for a book and incredibly relevant during this time. I like that it focuses and not just immigrants from one country. It's a pity that this book didn't get a higher review score; however, I think that the author could easily improve upon this. Great review. :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A tale revolving around immigrants' struggle to achieve the American dream sounds interesting. It is good that the author managed to balance between the pragmatic and the romanticized aspects. Too bad that the book doesn't flow too well, and it was hard to follow the tale at times. Not for me, but I am glad you find it eye-opening. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Emmanuel Oliver
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel Oliver »

I love how this book grasp my attention from the first page with the twists and turns and the characters are just believable and unique. American River been a contemporary fiction is just everything I want in literature.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

From the review, it seems that keen followers of American history would be interested in this book. I'm not sure I fall in that category.
I'm glad I passed by.
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Good review. A story of immigration to the USA sounds interesting for lovers of historical fiction but not for me. Congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

Thank you for the review of this book. I love historical fiction. I agree that the "consensual rape" statement made in the book is abhorrent. Regardless, this looks like an interesting read.
Zuribooks
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zuribooks.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Zuribooks »

Any book that has a story about other cultures or religions will be welcomed in my shelves, it's really interesting to know the struggle of the immigrants... My parents are inmigrants (not in USA) but still I believe it's a book that will open the eyes of a lot of people... I will definitely read it... Good job.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Despite the flow of the novel, this sounds like a wonderful read. According to the review it is filled with history and cultural diversity! Congrats on book of the day! Great review!
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

This review invokes a strong reminiscence of Gabriel Garcia Marquez’ 100 Years of Solitude.
There are some time jumps and some scene changes between different families, and sometimes they were a bit hard to follow. Although I loved the diverse character cast, I also had trouble remembering which story matched up with who and where they had previously left off. I still really liked how the story spanned several generations and how, at the end, it seemed to come full circle and revisit relationships between some of the earlier characters.
I think stories like these are definitely difficult to follow because they do include such a large cast of characters, but in the end they give us a much wider look into the path that life takes across generations. Most novels only give us a glimpse of life while novels that span generations help us to put our own lives into perspective.

Return to “Historical Fiction”