Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
September55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Re: Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by September55 »

After reading, my full thoughts is a beautiful country scenery with an engaged surrounding of flowing rivers, high mountains where the wind taps across your face and a blissful nature of animals that surrounds an eager and longing dream to gain wealth.
gatorcritter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by gatorcritter »

I assume the author used "queer" rather than "homosexual" because it is the term that would have been used at the time. I agree with your take on the author's low rating.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: American River: Tributaries', by Mallory M. O'Connor, pinpoints every little detail of the book, to the reader.
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by LanieTaj »

This seems an interesting book because the author wanted us to engage in the story. I think this book can serve as an eye opener about the immigrants. I hope that she includes the different problems that the immigrants are suffering as well as the possible solutions but this is just my idea of the plot. I'm not into historical stories, but I'll consider this one. Other than that, I'm going to add this to my reading list.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Thank you for the in-depth review! I was nearly sold on reading this book until I came across the rating it was given. The failing plot line and making light of rape (which maybe the author can address and further explain at a later date) are a few of the disappointments I know of although I am curious to know if those are the only things you were faulting when making the rating or was there others that were included. Once again, great job!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Too much characters, time jumping or erratic narration of historical events, and confusing which story matched up with who - OMG! I might have dropped from reviewing this book. Thanks for the detailed review.
ashpres12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashpres12.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by ashpres12 »

Irene C wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:38 I can see what you mean about the structure of the book being somewhat hard to follow, but I think that adds to the richness of the narrative. And from the excerpt, it does look very well written overall. The descriptions are so vivid, they really pull you in.

I'm sorry to hear that there is a scene that makes light of rape. I'd be curious to know the context
Hopefully the author will discuss, at some point in time, the meaning of this scene and why it was written the way it was. Maybe then this will clear up any confusion for those who are reading it and give them a better understanding of the authors mind set.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I think this is a very comprehensive review and interesting to hear how someone more familiar with the immigrant experience thought of this book.
I've only read the sample, but I can say I already agree with the reviewer here that there are too many characters and the time jumps can be jarring as you read along.
Overall, though, I enjoyed how descriptive the writing was, especially in the beginning. I'm still on-the-fence about reading the rest of this book-writing but I'm still going to put it on my TBR shelf.
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

Historical fiction stories about immigration sound very interesting. It's amazing to hear about the different experiences and challenges people have had. I tend to get confused with a lot of characters though and it sounds like that would be an issue for this book. Also the issue with the sentence about "rape" would also disturb me. For those reasons I think I'll pass on this book. Thanks for the review.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I do agree with you on that statement you mentioned, it would make some readers, including myself, quite uncomfortable. However, I'm still interested in reading the book considering that it is a memoir and speaks to the experiences of immigrants. It is a topic that is still very relevant today.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review. I thought the blurb was interesting but the sample moved slowly for me. After reading this review, I don't think this book is for me.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Books like these can definitely act as an education piece for immigrants and non immigrants alike. We are often too concentrated on our own story to care about the story of others and although this one doesn't seem perfect, it sounds like an excellent way for us to expand our horizons.
Bhagchandjain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Bhagchandjain »

Review in my eyes this is a story of natives who loved their land but their title was not easy to prove due to legal complexity : Here reviewer rightly said the story of memoirs Charished love of land nearby river
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

:techie-studyingbrown: This book interested me for the same reason you mentioned... the stories of immigrants. But it seems like this novel could use some more editing. Personally, I really dislike when I lose track of the characters or storylines so I don't know if I'll end up reading this book. But great job on your review!
degratesqueen 121314
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by degratesqueen 121314 »

This story pulled me in by detailing the characters beforehand. That gave me a different point of view for the characters before I started the book. I am definitely buying this book to see how it turns out. There's no way I could pass this one up after it grabbed me in the very beginning. Kudos to the author.

Return to “Historical Fiction”