Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NeonKay
Favorite Book: Guradian of Deceit
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neonkay.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by NeonKay »

I have read the sample of the book and it is written quite impressively, maybe because it was previewed and polished many times by the author. I feel like I would want to read more of the story, however, I feel quite unsure about the part of 'vulgar', if not intimate, dialogue about sex. But I think that was perhaps included in the story to show realistic touch to 'American-ish' social diversity and cultural dynamics of the characters. But somehow, this section provides a great review. It helps me understand what to expect from reading the entire book.
There's nothing else more exciting than making a rough place your comfort zone. :wink: --kc fernandez
Jtminor5
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jtminor5.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jtminor5 »

I was only able to get through maybe the first 10-15 pages. This book really isn't for me. I'm not much of a historical fiction fan. The first few pages were a bit of a bore with all the details of the rivers and such. Pretty good review on the book though.
Sue Paasch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sue Paasch »

The beginning of the book read like a history and geography lesson. I liked how in depth the author went in describing the time frame, the locations, the characters and important historical facts. Each character from each different location was carefully crafted and piqued my curiosity. Tying it to a more modern day time frame made it more relatable.
Ginge
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ginge »

This book review of "American River: Tributaries" was comprehensive and thorough. While reading the book, myself, I did not see the missed punctuation, but there was another typo. There was a misspelling of 'Stream', missing the letter 't'. I agree with the review that the book didn't flow smoothly, but it did hold my attention. Overall, the review gave an accurate account to what to expect from this read, providing the theme Culture and immigration) and timeline.
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

As a original immigrant i find this very interesting, i always wanted to read something like this. Thanks for a great review.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This sounds like a great book on a topic which is not often discussed in a novel. I think that there would be so much information to convey and it could have been daunting for the author to decide where to start and who to include as there would have been so many people they met and worked alongside. Great review, it was definitely a different rating to what I would have expected from reading the blurb about this book.
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

Wow. Historical fictions and immigrants in the 1800's, that's really deep. We would surely learn something from the book, especially how there were cultural diversities. The only thing would be the concentration we are willing to give when reading, considering the large amount of characters.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I like the physical anchoring of this book. The descriptions of place reminded me a bit of some of Muir's writings. I am enjoying the stories and look forward to reading more.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I would love to read about the experiences of the people living in a different country and different environment. I look forward to checking out this book.
Mama12
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Mama12 »

American River Tributaries

Definitely an interesting basis for the book. I like books that tell about family history and culture. This one was a bit wordy for me plus the font was difficult for old eyes to read.
Denny Bong
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Denny Bong »

American River: Tributaries. This book comes across as an invitation to explore the old American west, the oppurtunity it presented, how this was embraced by three families of diverse culture and language. Iriish, Italian and Mexican. How the Califonian Town of Morningbird Valley affected, shaped and prepared them for the modern America aswell as they did the same to their environment, through generations, laying the foundational link between them. Which in latter years becomes the bedrock for the resolution of the linkages in the pursuit of their political, artistical, musical and sundry ambitions.A very attractive, tempting and hand forcing review that just forces ones hands to pick up the book and read.
1GypsyGirl

Post by 1GypsyGirl »

You can tell that it was very heavily researched and well thought out. To be able to write with such detail also indicates a true love of this era.

The author has, in my opinion, established the entire story in just a very short time.

This is actually a book I would read.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

America as the melting pot of so many cultures was an established fact so many centuries ago. We laud the pioneering spirit of immigrants, adventurers, industrialists, and romantics all converging into the erstwhile wilderness and made America what it is today. The stories of the three families herein told form part of the cultural backbone America had which was enriched by these diverse components of humanity. Great review you have made and thanks for sharing.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I find it difficult to follow stories with a lot of different characters, not to mention this novel really isn’t a genre I’m interested in. Thanks for the review.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I had the idea this book was about laws and decrees because of the cover. I never imagined it was about immigrants. Writing about how we all are connected one way or another is inspiring. Too bad you couldn't keep up with all the characters. My guess is there were so many because of the several decades of history the author writes about. Thanks for sharing your ideas about this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”