Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harrison192
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by Harrison192 »

I read the sample and am very interested in continuing. Like Marquez' One Hundred Years, this seems like a sweeping, multidimensional/generational epic. O'Connor's prose is inviting and warm; it is appropriately detailed or sparse when it needs to be. For example, she describes that Mockingbird Ranch--not just the crops, barns, and farmers, but hits on the pride (or resentment) that individual characters feel about their family's/bosses' homestead. I really wish that title/intro was less trite, though. Three immigrant families, growing and evolving on the American River in California, which itself has three tributaries. Seems like O'Connor wrote the book without a title and her jack-hole editor read the first 10 pages and slapped it together.
To address a criticism of a previous reviewer about the number of characters being difficult to follow: I like my novels long and sweeping with lots of characters, but I never read without a cheat sheet (which conveniently doubles as a bookmark and a post-read souvenir!). In this case, I'd have a character list on one side and a family tree on the other. Seems like either a very pedestrian or very condescending critique for someone who's clearly articulate and intelligent.
deenath senaratne
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by deenath senaratne »

I think its better to read .it helps to increase our knowledge .and some other good things. and i love it
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

An profound imagery there - humanity is linked together, like tributaries of a stream. It would be interesting to learn how immigrants from different cultural backgrounds interacted in the beginning.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

This book sounds like it has a lot of potential! The plot looks great, and with some further work on the writing, I think this could be a very nicely written story.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

This is a well thought out review. It appears very balanced and insightful. I can relate to your challenges with following large casts. I struggle with that as well.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I like the sound of the premise, but I'm not really a big reader of historical fiction, and when I do read the genre I'm only interested in a particular range of topics and eras. When I checked out the sample, what I read made me think this book would work great as a movie, but as a book the number of characters were already making my head spin. There's definitely potential for the story to build to something more, though.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like that it is historical fiction, the diverse cast of characters, the themes, and the interesting stories. Thanks for the review.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I also have trouble keeping up with too many characters. The premise of the book is quite interesting, but I would prefer a smaller, more compact cast.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
CatMomof7
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catmomof7.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by CatMomof7 »

I enjoyed your review and it told us everything we needed to know if we were to want to read this book or not. I, myself, do not enjoy this sort of book but have read many of these in the past and would see how this one would be a good read for those interested in this genre. Great job on review. :techie-studyinggray:
alangner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alangner.html
Latest Review: The Broadcast by Liam Fialkov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by alangner »

This part of your review confuses me: "I still really liked how the story spanned several generations and how, at the end, it seemed to come full circle and revisit relationships between some of the earlier characters."
I read the excerpt and, unless the excerpt left something major out, which is didn't seem to, it didn't appear as though any of the ancestors had a relationship other than living in the same general area. I guess I'd have to read the book to find out, but I really didn't find it that interesting.
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

To be honest i love this book,not only Americans are proud of it am also proud of it,Nice review God bless you
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

The reviewer recommends this book to fans of memoirs and historic fictions and since I'm neither I think this book is not for me. Still the review itself is very enthusiastic despite its low rating and I'm sure the book will find its reader.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I was surprised this got such a low rating. As a history lover I was captured from the beginning. Following three immigrant families through different eras was interesting. Great book to be turned into a TV series or movie.
Wesono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesono.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Wesono »

To be honest I thought this novel is about tributaries and rivers. All the same, I like historical fiction and I'm gonna enjoy this.
Ankhii_gb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankhii-gb.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Ankhii_gb »

Some background knowledge about American history, impacts of WWII is a prerequisite to find interest in the story because this one is packed with facts. Beautifully developed characters, each with their share of strengths and flaws. I am particularly drawn towards the drift of Marian MacPhallan's character. Her need to slip out of a mundane routine to seek tranquility and engage in her art even at the cost of major inconvenience and hurt to her family.

Return to “Historical Fiction”