Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Re: Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by ayoomisope »

The review speaks of a confusing plot due partly to scene changes amongst families. This can be frustrating but I guess the 'cast of characters' portion at the beginning of the book could help a little with understanding the changes.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Emmanae
Currently Reading: The Power
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanae.html
Latest Review: Discover Your Thinner Self by David Medansky
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emmanae »

Despite the 2/4 I think I'll check this one out - I've been reading quitea bitof historical fiction recently. :) Congrats on BOTD!
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

The sample didn't interest me, and your review brought to light some things that would annoy me. I think the time jumps would confuse and frustrate me. I understand that the author probably didn't intend to offend with the rape line in the dialogue; so I could possibly let that pass, it would depend on how the rest of the book goes. I am going to pass on this one. Thank you for the review.
Vispencer0769
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vispencer0769.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Vispencer0769 »

This is a good review. I’m always looking for books that have strong diverse characters.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

It is unfortunate that there was such a large cast of characters as this books sounds like it had a lot of potential. Perhaps a good edit would help. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
gatorcritter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by gatorcritter »

I just finished reading American River. I agree with the reviewer that the book is well written, well researched, and that the characters are realistic and well developed. It is true that the book skips around from one family to another, which made it a little confusing initially; however, it was kind of like being introduced to a lot of people at a new job. After a while it simply wasn't an issue. At times the book seems to get bogged down in details, but while these details slow the pace they also add to the sense of being there with the characters. I believe the reference by the reviewer to the use of the term "rape" was taken out of context and in no way should cause people to shy away from this book. For lovers of historical fiction, the arts, and family sagas American River is a page turner and I look forward to reading more from this talented author.
Stuartkats
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Stuartkats »

I love the story particularly immigrants because these stories motivates us in real life the introduction is long gives a good catch up of the book.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Thank you for an honest, detailed review of the book. While I enjoy historical fiction, I’m not sure this one is for me. Too many characters to keep up with and the lightly mentioned “rape” might turn me away from this one.
Dru_berry21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Dru_berry21 »

I am not an American but i do appreciate Culture of all kinds, it is a symbol and a badge of honor to represent what any particular Country and Individual is about, i admire as well the diversity of a well laid out story and the depictions of what and how the native Americans are. I would rate this story a five stars for the presentation but a little more background detail on the casts
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Interesting premise for a book, but one that could perhaps be confusing, what with the large cast of characters. I liked how the title made sense, given the line you quoted. The dialogue about rape does sound awkward. You've given us a lot to think about this book. I'm sure there's an audience for this, but I know now that this isn't for me.
RoRu68
Favorite Author: Kathryn Le Veque
Currently Reading: The Court of the Thorn Tree
Bookshelf Size: 30
fav_author_id: 29121

Post by RoRu68 »

As a second generation American it caught my eye as well. I did take the time to read the first few chapters, the stories are engaging but too complicated with so many histories. I felt like I was jumping back and forward left and right... As I only read the free sample, I felt the entire family "story" could have been grouped together or broken out to be individual books... I do have a feeling that if would have continued reading, there would have been a rhyme and reason to the first few chapteres - they are setting the scenes (the back-stories). I liked the writing, I would consider reading it from what I read of the sample.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

It's a shame that the book has so many characters to keep track of and doesn't flow well. I find I get lost when there are too many people in the story and when it doesn't flow well, it really takes away from enjoying reading the story. I'm glad though that the topic of immigration is a central theme as it is very important and I'm sure immigrants and families of immigrants can really relate to this. Great review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Lay668
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 126

Post by Lay668 »

Thank you very much for a great detail reviews. I find this book interesting and inspiring and motivating in their struggling and development of their lives living in a foreign country. Adapting western cultures is not as hard as you feel. It all depend on the areas you choose to live. Everyone has different lifestyles and different cultures and different families' rules.

Love the way you write the review. Awesome. You are amazing and superb great. Thanks.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

The use of the word “queer” is confusing. Does the reviewer mean the definition of the word or homosexual? If they meant homosexual they should have said homosexual. Especially when they went on to say how important the use of the right language is. Also the reviewer gave a low rating then went on to talk about what they liked about the book. They never really said why they gave such a low rating.
Ld3579
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ld3579.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ld3579 »

RE: American Review: Tributaries, by Mallory M. O`Connor
This review, for me, put across the message that being exposed to different cultures and different views may be uncomfortable at first, but that they shape us in a positive way in the long run. I think that the description of the inter-racial relationship between Kate and Tommy, in particular, demonstrated this message beautifully. Brilliant review.
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors; and the most patient of teachers”- Charles William Eliot

Return to “Historical Fiction”