Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Official Review: American River: Tributaries

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your insightful review! I have only read non-fiction books about immigrants...being that today's BOTD is Historical Fiction, I have added it to my WTR list. :-) This sounds like a wonderful book to learn about the culture and diversity in America, yesterday and today. Thank you!
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

That seems a rather harsh rating for a big you enjoyed and didn't find any significant errors with. A large cast of characters can make it sometimes hard to follow, though.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I have not yet read the book but based on the incredibly written onlinebook.org review, I plan to read it at soon as possible.
lauren1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren1.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by lauren1 »

I appreciate your review - it was enlightening. A quick glance at the book cover and I thought it might be a story of geography and land formations which is not my cup of tea. Learning that American River: Tributariesactually follows the lives of numerous early families is a surprise and has me considering reading it.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

This book is very timely due the rapidly changing policies concerning immigration to the U.S. Those who are restricting immigration to North America have forgotten that most Americans immigrated from Europe, without any prerequisites from the original settlers, the American Indians, American forefathers even seized parts of Mexico, and now are proposing to build a wall between the two nations. While it is correct to select those who would contribute most towards a greater U.S.A. Telling the truthful story, we can begin by revising the motto; "Give me your poor, the sick and......
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

Historical fiction story of 3 immigrant families (Irish, Japanese and Mexican) in Northern California as they struggle to find love, acceptance, and purpose.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

The topic is close th heart seeing as I'm dating an immigrant. Though I live in the Philippines not the US. The author has a very descriptive style that makes everything come to life in the imagination. Well worth a read.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
jennyweewitt
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jennyweewitt »

I love American History or any History really,but seeing as there are so many changes in n time and so very many characters to try to know so that you actually understand the story,I don't think it sounds like something I would enjoy.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. I liked the sample of this book. I liked how the families started out so diverse but then they all meet up. There is details about history and romance is sprinkled in too.
Amunala
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amunala.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Amunala »

"What I love about this book is how realistically it depicts diversity and culture. " ~The OBC reviewer

I'll be grabbing a copy to find out!
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Melodybeth01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Melodybeth01 »

Thank you for such a detailed and honest review. At first glance, it did not seem like this would be a book I would enjoy. After reading the review, I am now highly intrigued. I like books that have multiple storylines. It really keeps things interesting for me. I dont think the jumping around between family storylines would really bother me. I will definitely have to give this book a chance!
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I am definitely checking this one out. I need a break from all the Sci-fi and fiction that I've been reading lately. Besides, this book deals with something I am really interested about, which is Immigration. Thanks for the review!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

Although the lives of many immigrants does interest me, I just don’t think this one is for me.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Thanks for such an honest review! Since I generally lean to more fantastic storylines so I'm not sure this historical fiction is for me.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Nice Review. American River is a well written historical novel centered on the lives of several immigrant families in northern California. I love to read a book about immigrants. I will give it a try.

Return to “Historical Fiction”