Official Review: Fort Sarpy by Dave Lloyd

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Fort Sarpy by Dave Lloyd

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fort Sarpy" by Dave Lloyd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dave Lloyd’s Fort Sarpy takes readers on a journey into the wilderness from Missouri to Montana in the mid-19th century. Fort Sarpy is part of the Riverboat Trilogy, following the prequel, War Cry. Readers will discover a world unknown to most outside of brief mentions in history books. The journey is told in the way people spoke during the time period, giving an added dimension to its authenticity.

Young farm boy, Caleb Shaw, sets out on a journey, eventually joining up with the American Fur Company to help build and run a trading fort in Crow territory. Along the way, Caleb spends time in St. Louis, where he begins to grow into a man, before heading “upriver.” Most of the story is centered on the time spent at Fort Sarpy, a real trading fort on the Yellowstone River, in what is now Montana. Life inside (and outside) the fort comes alive with Lloyd’s storytelling. A tribe of Crows lives outside of the fort, in peace with the White Man. Note that most Crows have good relations with the White Man. The two groups of people often work together, in war with other tribes and in life around the fort. They develop friendships and romances (however, this is not a love story or a romance), in ways that are often unexpected. This is their story.

A host of strong characters share their lives with us, giving us a glimpse of life on the fort. Lambeau is a French-Canadian who becomes the fort chef and is Caleb’s closet friend. Meldrum is in charge of the fort. Palmer is the bookkeeper and responsible for the trading. The Crow leader, Bear’s Head, also plays a pivotal role in the story. There are many other characters that tell this story, in unusual ways. Despite a large number of characters, it was easy to keep up with them.

The storytelling is fascinating and full of historical information. Palmer keeps a journal that he writes in the first-person format. Along with Meldrum, he also likes to tell Caleb stories about the past. Bear’s Head inspires many his speeches. Speeches and talks are scattered throughout the book, while the rest is told in third person narrative form. Each of the storytellers makes readers feel like they are there, listening to these men talk and share their lives with them.

The details in the story are often amazing. For example, when the tipis are put up and down, there are many steps involved, told in such vivid detail that one feels like they are watching the tipi being built. I wanted to curl up and fall asleep in a tipi. Throughout the story, there are small photographs and drawings, which add more detail to the story.

A major theme in Fort Sarpy are the wars between the Crows, the Cheyenne, the Blackfeet, and the Sioux. Readers interested in weaponry will find themselves learning about guns, arrows, and tomahawks. The war scenes are often gruesome, with details about scalping and the use of the scalps. Injuries and deaths are depicted in very realistic methods, which can make one’s stomach curl. Personal conflict is also often dealt with in horrific ways, often shocking to 21st-century minds.

Watching Caleb grown into a man was one of my favorite parts of the story. How he spent a break in St. Louis, compared to when he first visited there at the beginning of his journey, showed how much he had grown up. He went from primarily looking after Caleb to looking out for others, in a variety of interesting ways.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are some minor grammatical errors, but they do not distract one in their reading, nor do they impact the overall story. Fort Sarpy appears to be historically accurate based on some minor fact-checking. The only weakness is that there was not as much information about the women in the story as I would have liked. If you know quite a bit about this part of our nation’s period, then you will know how it ends. Readers who enjoy historical works from this time period will surely enjoy this story. However, if you do not stomach blood and gore very well, I would suggest that you refrain from picking this one up.

Fort Sarpy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that you were able to enjoy all the details like exactly how the tipis were put up. However, I wonder if I would get too bogged down by them. That plus all the blood and gore is making me shy away from this one right now. Thanks for such a thorough review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Louis Asamoah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Louis Asamoah »

We are enjoying your lovely books
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

It has been a very long time since I have read in this genre, but when it is done well, I really can enjoy it. I tend to like this kind of detail, as you describe, so I think I will have to put this one on my ever-growing TBR list. Thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot seem interesting, I think I rather give it a shot and find it out my self. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CNWaweru »

I like the details provided in your review about the characterisation. Nice work
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Kat Berg wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 20:50 It has been a very long time since I have read in this genre, but when it is done well, I really can enjoy it. I tend to like this kind of detail, as you describe, so I think I will have to put this one on my ever-growing TBR list. Thanks for the review.
The detail is what really allowed me to learn without realizing I was learning....
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for this review - I did not know about this series. Do you think that you can read this book in isolation or do you really need to read the first book of the series to understand it? I enjoy it when historical information is woven carefully into the storyline.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

N_R wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 00:52 Thanks for this review - I did not know about this series. Do you think that you can read this book in isolation or do you really need to read the first book of the series to understand it? I enjoy it when historical information is woven carefully into the storyline.
I did not read the prequel and had no problem following the storyline. In fact, I didn't know there was a prequel until after I finished the book.
SpiderDreamer1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SpiderDreamer1 »

This certainly sounds intriguing. How does the treatment of the various Native American tribes come off? That can be very difficult even if you mean well and want to do a nuanced portrayal.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

SpiderDreamer1 wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 19:36 This certainly sounds intriguing. How does the treatment of the various Native American tribes come off? That can be very difficult even if you mean well and want to do a nuanced portrayal.
You do hear the Crows point of view during the story, as there were characters in the story that were Crow. Relations are portrayed as they would be in that time period. The author does a good job explaining in the forward that he used the language of the time, but that is not how he would speak in today's world.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

This is such a fascinating time period for me. Life in early America, especially in the South and Midwest, seems like an entirely different world to me. I love reading stories like this that descripe life back then.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

RebeccasReading wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 11:12 This is such a fascinating time period for me. Life in early America, especially in the South and Midwest, seems like an entirely different world to me. I love reading stories like this that descripe life back then.
It is an entirely different world!
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

Sounds like a fascinating story, just not sure I can handle the violent parts of the book.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK »

I like to read historical fiction, but further back in history intrigues me more. I'll have to check the first part before this. But I am not sure this book is for me.

Return to “Historical Fiction”