Review by ufayeu -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ufayeu
Favorite Author: Kiera Cass
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ufayeu.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard
fav_author_id: 4573

Review by ufayeu -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by ufayeu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner is a historical fiction/fantasy book with a touch of romance. The story is filled with mysteries and secrets that are waiting to unfold. It is the first part of the Apollo's Raven series and is set in 24 AD, Brittania (Britain). During this time, the Celtic tribes were threatened by possible invasions by the Roman Empire who is demanding allegiance to their emperor.

Catrin, who is a Celtic warrior princess of the Cantiaci kingdom, had an uncanny “skill” of connecting with ravens. In her journey to serve her father and to understand more of her gift, she encounters and develops feelings for Marcellus -the son of a Roman senator, a prisoner, and an enemy. As different sides of the story begin to unravel, will the star-crossed lovers do what is expected of them or would they go against the odds and fight for their true love?

First of all, I would like to commend the amount of time and effort the author dedicated into researching information about the culture, practices, and beliefs of both the Britons and the Romans. Throughout reading the story, it was very prominent that Tanner aspired to portray a clear and accurate picture of what she thought was the suitable living condition and environment for the characters. The amount of effort exerted into the details was something a reader cannot easily ignore. Hats off to Linnea Tanner for the details of this book!

Another thing I would like to mention is how the book did not revolve around the story of Catrin and Marcellus alone. I really appreciated how we were given the chance to get to know and to see the point of view of the other characters as well. It allowed a clearer and more in-depth understanding of the scenarios and reactions of every character. This concept added to the appeal of the book itself since you never know which character has been hiding a secret that is waiting to be revealed.

All in all, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I gave this rating because as much as I loved the book, there were times I was left confused due the doubts and reservations Catrin and Marcellus had for each other. It sometimes made me question their relationship. Aside from that, I found this book as a great book. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the following books in the Apollo's Raven series. I would also recommend it to readers who love or are interested in reading Celtic and/or Roman historical fictions.

As a side note, this book contains fight scenes, blood, death, and mild sex scenes.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ufayeu's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. I also was amazed at the author's thorough investigation of the time period to write this book. Can't wait for the next book. Nice job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”