Official Review: The Adventures of Little Big Jim

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: The Adventures of Little Big Jim

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Little Big Jim" by Duncan McCollum.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adventures of Little Big Jim is a historical fiction book by Duncan McCollum. Fourteen-year-old Little Big Jim is the protagonist and his story unravels in the mid 1800's.

Little Big Jim lives on a cattle ranch with his mother and his uncle. Once a month, he and his uncle head into the town of Monterey to fetch supplies. During these trips, Little Big Jim finds spots to hide out and read the newspaper while his uncle attends to matters. The wild adventures reported in the newspaper fill his head with fantasies. He pictures notorious outlaws, fierce pirates, and attacks on pioneers crossing the prairie. Oh, the adventures to be had! Little does he realise that he is soon to embark on wild adventures of his own through oceans and dense jungles. One morning in town, Little Big Jim is shanghaied. He finds himself aboard the Journey's End. The ship is built for speed and is perfect for pirating.

The book is narrated by a ten-year-old boy. He lives in the year 1934. His family is on a trip to an old family farm with his long-lost grandfather. As he gets to know him better, his grandfather entertains him with stories about Little Big Jim and his adventures. The book alternates between the events of their trip and Little Big Jim's story. There is an element of mystery surrounding his grandfather. Where has he been all these years? As the book developed, I wondered if his story was somehow linked to Little Big Jim's story. Unfortunately, I never found out, perhaps it will be revealed in future books; it seems the author is working on a second book.

I enjoyed reading about the concept of being "alone, together". It added a surprising depth to the book. The crew of Journey's End is made up of misfits. Men who are alone on their individual journeys. Yet, they depend on each other for survival. They work together aboard the ship and form unspoken bonds with each other. Another particularly fascinating example of this concept is the relationship between two jade miners that Little Big Jim encounters. The two miners have lived as neighbours for 25 years. They are sworn enemies, only coming together to fight against outlaws. Yet, each of them looks out for the other. They are friends in the strongest sense of the word, without realising it.

The supporting characters feature just enough to help with the development of the story. Some of them have background stories. I like that they are kept brief. As a result, the story unfolds at a steady pace. Despite having brief background stories, the emotions and attitudes of these characters are depicted well. This enhanced the feeling of each scene.

I noticed quite a few errors throughout the book. The author has a relaxed, informal writing style. Unfortunately, this resulted in a few sentences with poor grammar. It is such a pity because this is such an epic adventure story. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Those who love a good adventure story will enjoy this book.

The Adventures of Little Big Jim
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I might have to pass on this one, as I have already read (and enjoyed) Treasure Island. While I appreciate the dual narratives, I just don't think this book would have anything particularly outstanding to me. Thank you for your review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Too bad about the errors. At first, I thought this was a child's book. I'm not sure why. I don't think it's my cup of tea, but I appreciate the good information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
elle_12
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by elle_12 »

not my kind of book ..
FeiLiaging25
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by FeiLiaging25 »

:D at first I really thought it was a child books, but I appreciate the good information of the book. but it's not really my genre. More power author
Thabang112
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thabang112 »

Not tealy my kind but seems interesting
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

What was your opinion of the book being written from the perspective of a 10 year old? Do you think it was helpful or made the book seem too childlike? I'm not sure if I would enjoy that style.
sammyy7
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by sammyy7 »

Am a kind of adventurous person. Though the book was written through the point of view of a child,yet I found it interesting
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Stories told through a child's perspective are always interesting since children could be used as more reliable narrators. I am not sure if this is the case with this book, but your review made me want to find out. Thank you.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Historical Fiction”