Review: 'The Curse of the King' by Philippa Gregory (mild spoiler)

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Review: 'The Curse of the King' by Philippa Gregory (mild spoiler)

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I guess some other people will be thinking, oh no, not another book about the Tudors, but I would strongly advise you to give this one a try, as it takes an interesting perspective - the first person narrator, Margaret Pole, is the Matriarch of the Plantaganets, the dynasty overturned by the Tudors on the battle of Bosworth Field. Pragmatically, and for her own family's good, Margaret accepts being a part of the Tudor court but her relationship with it is troubled and ultimately tragic.

The story spans from her early years as a companion to Queen Katherine of Aragon to her death. There is the usual excellent period detail you would expect from Philippa Gregory, and the way she interposes little household details with the goings-on at court is fascinating. I was particularly moved by the presentation of her spell as a governess to Princess Mary, though Gregory admits in the afterword that some of this is conjecture, but there is no reason to presume it had NOT been so. Her portrayal of the descent of Henry VIII from golden boy to monster is especially affecting.

Alongside life at court we also see the story of Margaret's own family unfold. Though this is, in itself, interesting and well-presented, it would still have to be one of my few quibbles with the story. Like many people at the time, she had a large family, and sometimes the accounts of their fates seems a shade hurried and 'foot-noted' rather than being an integral part of the story. I would especially like to have known more about her youngest son Geoffrey, as a very dramatic change of heart on his part comes totally out of the blue - I accept such things happen in real life! The final description of Margaret's execution as an old woman (the oldest known person to have been executed by Henry) is harrowing and sticks in the mind - all the more so because although she is old and also devout she desperately clings to life.

Notwithstanding my slight quibbles, I would still most definitely award this book 4 out of 4 stars.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thank you for this review! I'm a fan of Gregory's novels, and this seems to be a prequel to her other works, really. I'd read this novel solely for her portrayal of Henry's decline, based on your description of how well she did.

That some more minor characters get short shift in such ambitious novels doesn't much bother me.
But thank you for noting that slight flaw.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Who would say "not another book about the Tudors"? :wink:
The topic is certainly over-done , but I admit I still find that era so fascinating. I will have to add this book to my list! Thanks for the review!
JusCally
Currently Reading: Psycho 2
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juscally.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by JusCally »

RebeccasReading wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 10:47 Who would say "not another book about the Tudors"? :wink:

My thoughts exactly. There are a LOT of mild to moderately boring Tudor treatments available in the book world, but when someone gets it right it's magical. It's a period and family that Philippa Gregory is very adept at portraying, and although I sometimes take issue with some of her characterization (since I also love reading Tudor non-fiction, and the occasional discrepancy pops up) the lady spins a good yarn.

Return to “Historical Fiction”