Official Review: Good Vibrations by Gina Marie

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryburris.html
Latest Review: When Pigs Fly by Susan Fries

Official Review: Good Vibrations by Gina Marie

Post by MaryBurris »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Vibrations" by Gina Marie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you looking for a great book that will help you kick off the new year with the right mindset? If you are, then this just may be the book for you. Good Vibrations (The Craynes Greatest Hits) by Gina Marie tells the story of a fictional band. This book is a definite feel-good book and is sure to start your year off right.

The story starts out with one of the band members moving out of their house. While the band members and housemates are helping to pack up his belongings, they reminisce about the formation of their friendships and how the band came to be in existence. We learn that Sebastian and Danny traveled cross-country to Los Angeles. Sebastian hitchhiked and played music from Texas, while Danny went by bus. Jamie and Alex were annoying next-door neighbors living in Los Angeles. They met when they both applied for the same job at the same time. Eventually, these four boys all got together and ended up sharing living quarters and starting a band. The story comes full circle and finishes with the band member moving out.

The experiences these four boys had will have you laughing out loud, especially those that involve their new friends Brownie and Tulip. The characters Brownie and Tulip remind me of Cheech and Chong, two drug-induced hippies. I suppose this is fitting, as the story takes place in the late 1960’s - a time when young people were experimenting with drugs and sexuality. The author does not use graphic details and relates the sexual experiences with class and dignity. All of the boys seemed to be in a constant marijuana haze.

I enjoyed reading this book. I had a difficult time putting it down once I had started reading. I loved reading the experiences of the band, and albeit they were fictional, I can imagine any fledgling group from the late 1960’s like the characters. With this book, we learn about the importance of friendships and loyalty. The book also gives us hope. The boys started from scratch and did not have much money between them, yet they always had positive attitudes.

There were no grammatical or spelling errors that stood out to me, which made the book easier to read. The story is well-written. The scenes from memories to present day flow seamlessly throughout the chapters. This book will appeal to music lovers and young adults. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Good Vibrations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MaryBurris's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading without reflecting is like eating without digesting.”
― Edmund Burke
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, MaryBurris! This book gave you good vibes, I can tell! It would be fun to reminisce with the Craynes about the decade of awakenings. The 4 boys remind me of Paul, Ringo, George and John!
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:

Post by MaryBurris »

Hi Miriam! This book was right in my wheelhouse. I connected on so many different levels (aside from the drugs and sex... LOL) I'm a music blogger that writes about the stories behind music and artists, so this one really appealed to me - even with it being a work of fiction. I really am hoping to see book 2 because I really want to know the rest of the story.
― Edmund Burke
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This sounds like an cheerful book. It is great to read about meaningful friendships. I don't know much about the sixties so this book will provide an opportunity to travel to that era.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:

Post by MaryBurris »

Hi Mercy Bolo! I think you will really enjoy this book as well.
― Edmund Burke
djordjesvonja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djordjesvonja.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by djordjesvonja »

Nice and relaxing rewiew. The book sounds interesting and I will probably find some time to read this book.
Regards
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:

Post by MaryBurris »

Thank you, djordjesvonja! This is definitely a book that you will want to check out.
― Edmund Burke
Temperature2018
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Temperature2018 »

This book is very interesting and will like to introduce it to others so that they can also read it very good content. An interesting to read
MaryBurris
Currently Reading:

Post by MaryBurris »

I agree, Temperature2018! Very interesting read.
― Edmund Burke
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I love books like this--"we had a band and we tried real hard" LOL-- that are becoming SO popular theses day (anyone see "Daisy Jones and the Six" on TV?? The book is even better!!!). I love your review--you had me at "characters like Cheech and Chong". Downloaded and bumped to the top of the pile!!

Return to “Historical Fiction”