Official Review: Yut Di - One Earth by Edward H.K. Ho

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Yut Di - One Earth by Edward H.K. Ho

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Yut Di - One Earth" by Edward H.K. Ho.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if you were given the chance to view history from a different angle? Yut Di - One Earth, by Edward H.K. Ho, offers its readers the opportunity to view history from a Chinese perspective. This illuminating work of historical fiction is set in the 1880's. It explores the factors that led thousands of Chinese to immigrate to North America. It also sheds light on what the prevailing attitudes were towards those Chinese settlers.

Yut Di - One Earth tells the tale of Dai Woo Cheung, a wealthy Chinese Merchant in search of a new home for his family. The book opens with him aboard a steamship heading for Canada. He has chosen his twelve-year-old son, Wing, to accompany him. Trouble brews when the white passengers complain about having to dine with people of "inferior origins". In an attempt to appease them, the steward changes Cheung and Wing's seating arrangements in the dining hall. They are placed at a table with a Jewish Rabbi and his beautiful, ten-year-old daughter, Louisa. Louisa and Wing get on well and become regular playmates. The growing attachment between the two playmates worries their fathers. How could such a love survive in a world filled with intolerance? The intolerance they experience aboard the ship is just a foregleam of what lay ahead. When the ship docks on the port of Victoria, Cheung and Wing are attacked by protesters who haul eggs and rocks at them from the shore. The protesters yell, " Go home, Chinks!" Horrified, Cheung regrets bringing his son along. There is no turning back now, the situation back in China is dire. He must find a new home for his family. He must also fulfill a promise he made to his father. It is imperative that he succeed on this mission. After a tragic turn of events, Wing is kidnapped and forced to work as a labourer on a railway construction site. Cheung feels he will be in a better position to find his son if he works as a doctor for the Canadian Pacific Railway. He is exposed to the shocking working and living conditions on the various railway construction sites. In the meanwhile, Louisa falls into a deep anguish over the loss of her beloved Wing. Will he ever be found?

Yut Di - One Earth might be fictional, but the author uses real historical events as a backdrop. Not only does he narrate these events, but he also explains why and how they happened. In the prologue, events leading to and surrounding the Opium Wars are narrated. Reading the devastating effects of these wars put me in the right frame of mind for the rest of the book.

The relationship between Cheung and Wing added warmth to the book. Cheung believes in teaching his son to think for himself using logic and reason. He imparts vital lessons to his son. A lesson I treasured was about the importance of adaptability. When accused of accepting Western ways, Cheung stated, "If we waste the present by dwelling too much on the past, the future will hold little promise for our children." It is evident that Wing absorbs these lessons in how he reacts to trying situations.

I appreciate the balance found within the book. The book does not just focus on the evils of Western Society, it also highlights the positives. An example of this is when Cheung praises the English alphabet for its efficiency. The book also has a number of tolerant white characters who personify impartiality. As a result, the book did not feel overly critical. I found it to be fair.

I enjoyed this book from start to finish. The author went to lengths to explore a variety of situations that the Chinese immigrants found themselves in. It also sets the record straight on notable contributions by the Chinese that have been overlooked. If you are tired of reading fluff, I advise you to read this book! It has substance, and yet it still manages to be entertaining. I rate Yut Di - One Earth 4 out of 4 stars.

Yut Di - One Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This sounds like a fascinating saga! I'm very interested in the Opium Wars, and I like that the author seemed to have immersed his characters in history. Thanks for this detailed review!
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

This sounds like an intriguing read! I personally gravitate towards books with historical facts as a background to a fictional story. Thanks for the awesome, detailed review!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, there, Kelebogile Mbangi! Would Yut-Di mean One Earth in Mandarin? I would appreciate this Chinese perspective of history.

The Chinese are an industrious and resilient people. It is no wonder that they have excelled in so many fields. In my country, our wealthiest are mostly Chinese.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Very interesting review. I've been watching a lot of shows about the settling of the American West and the development of the railroads. They try to give a glimpse of how the "celestials" were treated, but I'm sure this book gives a heartbreaking perspective.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review! I'm moved. I like that the story is told through the immigrants' perspective and not about them.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like a good balance of historicity and fiction. It's always nice when the author is able to find that good mix. Thanks for all the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review. I think that this book is a must-read for people who are from the western world. All too often we engage in ethnocentrism and focus a lot on our own culture and the history of our own people. However, a prominent philosopher once wrote that history is always written by the victors. Once upon a time, people used to say that all gold flowed through China and then the centre of the world's 'power' shifts over the course of time. I have downloaded this book, it sounds like a great read.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review of a comparatively lesser known angle of 19th century North American and Chinese history.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Wow, this sounds very interesting. I might have to give it a try.

Return to “Historical Fiction”