Official Review: Crossing at Sweet Grass

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Official Review: Crossing at Sweet Grass

Post by Paul78 »

Comm Mayo, I have come to love your reviews. On this one, you must have read this book armed with history on the other side.

I have enjoyed your critique on the author while appreciating the great work she has done, though in your observation, she is yet to have the chatacter of an established author.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I'm not a fan of this genre, but appreciate your review. I'm also glad to see a review that doesn't just hand out a 4 out of 4 because the book is "decent." I'm having a hard time believing some of the ratings being thrown around by many reviewers!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Joy2thenations wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 04:17 I'm not a fan of this genre, but appreciate your review. I'm also glad to see a review that doesn't just hand out a 4 out of 4 because the book is "decent." I'm having a hard time believing some of the ratings being thrown around by many reviewers!
Many reviewers probably are reviewing the books for the first time. There is a temptation to give the full ratings despite the fact that the reviewer may have disliked some aspects of the book.

When one looks at various reviews of the book he has reviewed, it is easy to identify those aspects of the book mentioned by other reviewers. Then at this point one will realize that while reading a book, one should examine the whole aspect of the book. Does it appeal emotionally, intellectually?Are there some areas that have not been adequately covered by the author? All these are questions that a reviewer should be able to look at.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Joy2thenations wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 04:17 I'm not a fan of this genre, but appreciate your review. I'm also glad to see a review that doesn't just hand out a 4 out of 4 because the book is "decent." I'm having a hard time believing some of the ratings being thrown around by many reviewers!
Thank you for your comment. I have an undergraduate degree in contemporary literature...so, needless to say I'm pretty strict when handing out the stars. I actually had a hard time finishing this book, mostly because I found it rather boring the way it was presented.
Bighenryquee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bighenryquee »

I like the fact that its an historical, but then, I haver never truly believed that life is black or white, there are a lot of grey areas, that's why for me, both sides of the tale are equally important. If this book does that, then it would be worth a read
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Bighenryquee wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 13:53 I like the fact that its an historical, but then, I haver never truly believed that life is black or white, there are a lot of grey areas, that's why for me, both sides of the tale are equally important. If this book does that, then it would be worth a read
Lots of gray areas in this book, particularly with how the settlers and Native Americans interact with each other. You feel compassion for both sides.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Being abducted and falling in love with the one who abducted you sounds like an interesting story.I can't wait to see where it all leads to in the end.

Return to “Historical Fiction”