A Voice in the Wind, Francine Rivers

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Owlsome
Bookshelf Size: 0

A Voice in the Wind, Francine Rivers

Post by Owlsome »

This is a very good book, very well written. The author is very talented in the sense that she keeps her readers on the tip of their seats the whole time.
Hadassah is a Jew, fighting for survival in the anti-Christ Roman times. She is bought as a slave by a very wealthy Roman family with a very handsome son.
Will Hadassah stay honorable to God or submit to the temptations of the World?
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I enjoy books set in Bible times and this sounds interesting, thanks for telling us about it. I'm also curious - for instance, does Hadassah develop a relationship with the son of the Roman family?
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Cherrilyn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrilyn.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by Cherrilyn »

I really enjoy Francine River's books also. My favorite has been The Last Sin Eater. I have also read Unshaken which is also a very good book! I will have to read this one also. It sounds fascinating!
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
bluehydrangea1942

Post by bluehydrangea1942 »

The first book I read in the Mark of the Lion series was not A Voice in the Wind but An Echo in the Darkness. After I read the second book I had to go back and read them in order. A Voice in the Wind gives an insight into Hadassah's life around the time of the fall of Jerusalem and the death of Christ and a new teaching called The Way. Hadassah had struggled with her faith and leaned on her father and his faith for support, but when her father died and her family was left to fend for themselves, she realized her faith was not as strong as it was when she was around a group of believers. Eventually she gets sold into slavery, to the house of the Valerians. Over the course of the series you get to see how one person's faith and commitment to serve touches the lives around them for better or worse.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I'm normally not a fan of Biblical time books but this one sounds interesting.
airwoman311
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airwoman311.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by airwoman311 »

I really enjoy A Voice in the Wind, which is book one of a three book series titled The Mark of the Lion. I first read this series as a freshman in high school; I bought the series several times over the past 15 years, only to give them to others to read. If you enjoy reading historical/biblical fiction, she's the author to read! She's also written other series, to include A Lineage of Grace- each book is a story about strong women of the Bible, to include Rahab, Tamar, Ruth, and Bathsheba. Every book you read from this author will touch your heart, change your spirit, and teach you something new; not just about the Bible, but about yourself.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I have read all of Francine Rivers' books. I appreciate how she conveys biblical truths and makes biblical stories and characters come to life. I highly recommend!
debsmarmont2

Post by debsmarmont2 »

I read this series of awesome books a few years ago!! I loved every one and hated when it all ended!! I can still remember vividly the story of Hadassah, she became a person I grew to admire and marvel all she endured in her life!! Her convictions and faith as a Christian shows such strength of character and Francine Rivers writes the bibical story that I felt as I was reading that I was right there with her!! I have read quite a few of Francine Rivers books and I have to say in my opinion, that she has remarkable talent and I highly recommend her books to read and reread again and again!! I have shared her books especially this series to most of my family and !any friends and acquaintances at my job!! I highly recommend this Series The Mark of the Lion by Francine Rivers, awesome!!!
tfrancois06
Currently Reading: Sleeping Beauties
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00ZV9PXP2

Post by tfrancois06 »

Francine Rivers is my favorite author! I haven't had a chance to read A Voice in the Wind. Can't wait to read it!
naomilupton_98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomilupton-98.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by naomilupton_98 »

A Voice in the Wind was the first Francine Rivers book I've ever read, and it stays my favorite. I loved how well she interwove the culture, history and biblical scriptures - reading it gives you a feeling of what life was like for the early church. The series as a whole was a bold one, especially when it pertains to the scriptures and doctrines she highlights.

I have committed myself to read that series at least once every two years - because it is that good. I'd recommend it to any one interested in reading a good story while wanting to learn more about the bible.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I am reading this A Voice in The Wind because I love Francine Rivers books. My first book was Redeeming Love, I was hooked. I have all three books in this trilogy and can't wait to read them all. I have The Last Sin Eater but haven't read it yet.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I have read the whole series. Francine Rivers is a well-established author. I am a collector of her books and bought these books a few years ago. It takes us through Hadassa, Markus, Julia's and Atreses's lives in the early years of Christanity just after the crucifixion. It speaks of love, determination and triumph. The Mark of the Lion series is worth the read and I encourage people to read it.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

I have only read a few pages in this book and I’m already hooked. It has been highly recommended by a lot of people. I’ve already purchased the rest of the books in this series and can’t wait to read them. What drew me in was the horrible conditions the people had to live through.
Shelly Mantei
Favorite Book: A Voice in the Wind(The Mark of the Lion Series #1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-mantei.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Shelly Mantei »

Francine Rivers is a very talented author. I have enjoyed reading all of her books. I know that she just came out with a movie based on her book Redeeming Love. I am excited to see it, and compare the book and the movie.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Historical Fiction”