Official Review: The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love good historical fiction, and this sounds right up my alley. I do worry about language use in historical fiction as it can be so hard to be authentic to the time period while still making it accessible to modern readers, but I guess that's the least of my concerns and so I'd be able to get past it if the book is as good as you say. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Wendy18
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wendy18 »

I think the way you enhanced the book has enticed me to download it to my kindle. I am very excited to get started.I feel it will be full of adventure Thank you very much for your review.
Walter991985
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Walter991985 »

The language! What about the language, too complicated to interprets the time? I like travelling Billy's trip make me wanna read the book though. Thanks for your review.
Kritika R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kritika R »

To me it sounds like a bit of a slow book. Does it have interesting bits or is it kind of a drab ?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a nice review. It is profound and straight to the point. I would love to read this book. The only thing I have not understood is whether is under the genre of fiction or not? The good development of characters is an added strength to the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Finding Billy Battles trilogy sounds like an interesting series. Covering the journeys of Billy who departs for the orient and encountering a situation much different to his home state. I would like to read more of the revolutionary ideas, spies and wars that he encounters. Thanks for a wonderful review.
simplymica26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplymica26.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by simplymica26 »

Wow! Such an informative review! You convince me to read this book though I'm not into Political plot. The way you wrote your review gives me a lot of thinking and questions that makes me want to read the book. Congratulations and thank you for the great review!
Marvelous chisom
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Marvelous chisom »

Wonderful review...... I must say this book is different and superb. Bringing in politics and adventure, I am itching to read it.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I agree that historical fictions are a bit tricky and that often times they fall victim to anachronism which is why there are a few who survive in the critics' eyes in this genre. I, myself, loves a well-thorough researched historical fiction. Adventures on the seas are certainly my cup of tea and learning all about different places and cultures is a fascinating experience. Though the plot sounds a bit general, not attracting the twist-lovers, I think i might give this a chance to know more of the story. thanks for the review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I don’t know if this story is for me since I don’t typically read historical fiction unless it’s within my interest area. I’ve never cared much about the Orient. The fact that the book shines with characterization makes me intrigued, though! Thanks for writing a review.
HauntedSoul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hauntedsoul.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by HauntedSoul »

Such an interesting read it was, that blurb. I feel like he's in for more trouble than the actual escaping he did from his woes. Makes me want to read the next part right away. :) :)
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

Although this sounds interesting, I’m not sure this book would be for me! I didn’t get excited by this review and it didn’t make me want to read it.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like not only historical fiction (which I love), but an exciting adventure story as well. I love a great story, but you are so right about characterization being an important element of the story. I'm glad that is the case with this book. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Edaps
Currently Reading: Deadly Focus

Post by Edaps »

The 4 out of 4 stars will definitely draw curiosity to the book. Adventure is my thing and I hope the rating is spot on.
eddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddix.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddix »

Thank you for your review. I'm battling, though, with whether I want to read this book. I'm not sure yet. The sample didn't really grab me. But, maybe I'll try it later, if even just to satisfy my curiosity about the genre.

Return to “Historical Fiction”