Official Review: The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles" by Ronald E. Yates.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles by Ronald E. Yates is a work of historical fiction that tells the story of the eponymous hero, Billy Battles, who has departed from Kansas and his journey for the Orient has just begun. He is on an ocean liner that will take him into the realm of the mysterious “Orient”. He is taken to a journey that opens his eyes to political opportunists, spies, revolutionaries, wars and much more.

The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles
is the second book in the Finding Billy Battles trilogy, and it deals opens in the year 1894 when William Battles, the hero of this story, is aboard SS China. This book is wonderfully complex and enthralling, and the reader will find himself drawn to the book till the last page.

I feel that this book is quite interesting and irresistible, and it tells a beautiful narrative. The plot of the story is absolutely unique, and the reader would feel like he is taken into a different realm when he is reading this book. The amalgamation of political themes in a fictional text can often be problematic, but I feel like the author did justice to the themes that he has covered. The idea of the “Mysterious Orient” is explored in this text, and it is done when an adequate amount of political correctness.

A major problem one can point out when reading a historical text is that of anachronism, and this book certainly had a few inconsistencies when it comes to that, but overall, I felt that the language, as well as the overall narrative, did not fall victim to anachronism. There were times when I wondered if the language of the characters fit the time and place, but this is one of those things that can be easily overlooked when one is reading, and the reading experience is not hindered by such inconsistencies.

A very important element of this story was the characterisation. I feel that the author has created beautiful, well-rounded and diverse characters who add flavour to the overall reading experience. I love the protagonist of the story. I feel that the author has created a very dynamic hero and strong characters overall.

In my opinion, this book definitely deserves 4 out of 4 stars for the excellent and eloquent writing, beautiful plot and brilliant characterisation. The description of the different settings in the story was beautiful, and I feel that the author has extensively researched these places and cultures before writing about them.

The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I have so many questions: Why is Billy going to the Orient? What kind of things are enthralling about the book? Not sure I know enough to decide if I want to read the book, but I am glad that you enjoyed it!
felodp9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by felodp9 »

I believe this book will be and interesting one. Can't wait to grab a copy to satisfy my curiosity.
CalHull
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calhull.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by CalHull »

Thank you for this review, you’ve convinced me to add this to my bookshelf for the near future!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really do love beautifully done characters. I'm not sure this book would really be up my alley, though. Still I appreciated the information! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

Thank you so much for your honest views. You are right, I could've gone into deeper details. I will keep that in mind from now on.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if the author did his research well, bringing the historical setting to life. You say there may be some subtle anachronisms - I guess a writer has to be extremely meticulous to avoid those altogether. Yet perhaps we can allow some leeway if the story's good enough, and this is clearly compelling.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
readerwhowrites
Currently Reading: The Strings Of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 125

Post by readerwhowrites »

Thank you for your review. I love historical fiction, and I love adventure stories, and if the writing is as superb as you say I'll really like this book.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Thank you for your review, but I agree that I needed a little more plot summary to decide if the book interests me enough to pick it up. I really like how you bring up the issue of anachronism in novels of this nature.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical novel that follows the adventures of the protagonist in the far East sounds intriguing. It is to the author's credit that the language did not fall victim to anachronism, that the book is well researched, and that the characters are well-rounded. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I do not read historical novels but this one "The Improbable Journeys of Billy Battles" is a must read fully. There is a lot that we can learn from the journeys of other people. Thanks for this one.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am sure Billy's journeys are going to be absolutely thrilling, but I am not at all sure about the political themes mingling with that. Thanks for the review though. I am glad you enjoyed the book.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

This sounds like it's definitely full of action and adventure. I don't usually read historical novels, but the varied cultures in this one may change my mind here. Thanks for the review!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Kaydee Yaleni
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaydee-yaleni.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Kaydee Yaleni »

This seems like an intriguing book, although I'd have liked to know more about why Billy Battles goes on this journey to the Orient, and also where exactly is meant by the Orient - it's quite a broad term! Political themes can be difficult to tackle without being a little bit divisive, but it sounds like it might have been done well here.
I also love books with diverse characters, if they are realistically portrayed, so I might give this book a go just for that!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm sorry but your synopsis is not enough to make me want to grab this book. I get the idea that billy is on his way travelling to the far east and that the adventures that he encounter is mentioned, but if your review was more specific it would have given a better picture. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Historical Fiction”