Official Review: Black Star Over Hollywood by John W Ravage

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Official Review: Black Star Over Hollywood by John W Ravage

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Star Over Hollywood" by John W Ravage.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have had a most rare vision.
I have had a dream, past the wit of man.

- William Shakespeare, The Tempest, Act 4, scene 2

The book opens with these lines, and there is nothing as beautiful as a work that derives strength from another work. I absolutely love the way the author starts the story. The use of such poetic lines is an indication of the kind of writing that will follow

Black Star Over Hollywood is a stunning tale by John Ravage. It amalgamates a variety of ideas and isn’t just restricted to the world of Hollywood glamor. The narrative chronicles the tale of an African-American dancer Ted Masters. It tells the story of the struggle and overcoming of the protagonist. The protagonist is asked by a famous producer to be the star of an all-Black western. However, the movie gets “bogged down” due to a number of reasons.

This novel lends voice to certain areas of silence, projecting the reality of the struggles of black actors in the ‘30s and ‘40s. It intricately describes the ordeals faced by the black actors and questions how such a narrative has been lost. This novel derives inspiration from a multitude of sources, telling the forgotten stories of many actors to shed some light on that aspect of Hollywood.

The most interesting thing about this novel is the character development of the stunningly irresistible characters. Ted is a well-rounded, dynamic character who undergoes a beautiful transformation in this story. His struggle is enhanced due to the legacy of oppression and segregation in the town. He is an optimist, but he certainly has his lows due to the obstacles that are faced by him.

The plot of the story is absolutely beautiful. The way the story proceeds is shockingly brilliant and there is an amalgamation of different stories in a single narrative. The central theme is that of survival, and the author explores this theme extensively. While this novel predominantly explores the lives of black actors, it also sheds some light on the LGBT community in that time. Francine is a transgressive person who questions and condemns the gender rigidity in the society.

The writing style of the author is quite commendable. There are many poetic lines in the novel and the author has used and experimented with language in a multitude of ways. The author also infuses elements of humour in a mainly serious work of fiction. For these reasons, I would happily rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars. I feel that this rating is well deserved.

Black Star Over Hollywood
View: on Bookshelves

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The development of the characters in this story is a good move, it shows that the author has given them a identity to represent them selves. This book also reflects upon the discrimination that the people had to face and how effective when he raced his voice when silence echoed. The plot seemed to be interesting and I hope as the introduction is strong the story will continue to keep the readers attention that way!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this book is for me, but it does sound interesting. It sounds like a unique perspective; I haven't heard many books about the plight of black actors. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Loccitane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loccitane »

I enjoyed the energy you expressed in your review. Thank you and congratulation to the author for the 4-star review.
Monroe1987
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monroe1987.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel

Post by Monroe1987 »

I have to read this book. It's right up my alley.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
CalHull
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calhull.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by CalHull »

I studied film studies and film production at college, but never thought about how it was for the black actors of the age. Definitely piqued my interest, hope to read it soon
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I would really like to thank everyone for their opinions. I love the response I get at this forum. And yes, you would absolutely love this book.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love that this book touches on some of the issues that were a lot tougher in that time period. Like being on the LGBT.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

Wow this sounds like a cool topic. It's an area that doesn't normally get a lot of coverage. 70 years later, black actors are still struggling for recognition in Hollywood!

Return to “Historical Fiction”