Golden Hill by Francis Spufford

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Golden Hill by Francis Spufford

Post by story3girl »

This novel tells the story of a young man who arrives in colonial New York from London with a mysterious bill to be paid and a secret. He tries to ingratiate himself to the local people and has a series of problematic interactions. It is surprisingly charming and clever.
Jonathan Mark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathan Mark »

The novel is beautifully written and captures the atmosphere of New York in the early days when immigrants were arriving from Europe. It was highly acclaimed by the critics but it is a difficult read. A literary novel not a fast paced thriller.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Golden Hill is absolutely brilliant. It's a vivid portrayal of specifically mid-18th century Manhattan, actually, a particular era when the settlement had been in English/British hands for 80 years and had been Dutch for the forty years prior to that. One blurb on it dubs it, "The best 18th century novel since the 18th century," and Spufford really does write in the particular style of Richardson and other inventors of the novel form.
I make a point of saying that it is from the particular era it is because there is comparatively little historical fiction set in 18th century colonial America -- most fiction from the British colonies is set earlier, in the 17th century, when things are much more raw.
In addition to the protagonist, the character of Tabitha Lovell is very sharply drawn. Read it for her and for Smith.
story3girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-story3girl.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by story3girl »

I agree! I actually think they Tabitha is the most interesting character, and the twist in the epilogue casts an even more interesting light in her portrayal.

Return to “Historical Fiction”