Official Review: To Fly, To Fight and To Save

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Official Review: To Fly, To Fight and To Save

Post by Lest92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Fly, To Fight and To Save" by Richard Bemand.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Fly, To Fight And To Save by Richard Bemand is a genre fiction war novel set during World War II, narrated by the protagonist John Wilkins, a pastor who decides to join the RAF as a fighter pilot when he learns that there is a shortage of experienced fliers available for air defence. In his novel, Bemand suggests that a devoted Christian might make the difficult decision to engage in warfare to defend his country, his family and his way of life, even if it means taking the lives of his enemies.

In the 1930s, young John Wilkins has just completed his theological studies and returns to his home village in the Midlands to become an assistant pastor at the parish church, and to marry Ruth, a girl he has known all his life. As well as having had a religious upbringing, John also has some flight hours under his belt: his father, who used to be a fighter pilot in the Great War, had taught John to fly in the old RE8 biplane he purchased for use as a delivery vehicle. When war with Germany becomes a certainty, John joins the RAF because he knows his experience on the wing would be an asset to the army, and although his religious values complicate his decision, he believes that he must help defend Britain’s Christian freedom from Hitler’s regime of terror.

In this short book, John’s narration flies through the war years. Despite the very fast pace, I could not seem to finish the novel. The elements most important to John – his religion, his flying, and his family – were somehow disconnected from each other. The author added facts and Bible verses to the exposition, but did not weave historical fact and biblical quote into an authentic narrative. This tacked-together quality and safe writing turned To Fly, To Fight And To Save into a slow read. I also missed John’s conflicted decision to join the RAF because the novel lacked tension.

What I found most interesting to read about were the views from a flying ace’s cockpit, especially in the beginning of the novel when John recalled his father’s stories about the dogfights he had during the First World War. Here, there were personal touches which I thought the author could have used further in the story to fully engage the reader. If the story had been more concentrated to suit its length, the novel would have kept my attention all the way to the end. The writing is fine, but just that – a story about a person’s religious views coming into conflict with his sense of patriotic duty needs bold writing.

There were few errors but they are not that noticeable. I would recommend this book to readers interested in war fiction, historical fiction and aviation as well as a religious or Christian perspective. My rating is 2 out of 4 stars because I think the novel is fair enough, though it didn’t hold my attention long.

To Fly, To Fight and To Save
View: on Bookshelves

Like Lest92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Interesting! A true story, one way to remind people of the past difficult times. It takes time to heal but you should not forget how WW2 left the world scared for years, it should never happen again!
I'm glad the author took in the opportunity to give in the inside details at that time. It helps to build up your imagination when reading this book.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It sounds like this book is missing something to really make it engaging for the reader. I don't think this one is for me. Thanks for the insight!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Stories like this can be great. It sounds like this one fell a little short. If you struggled to finish it, I don't think I'm going to pick it up. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

MarisaRose wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 07:20 It sounds like this book is missing something to really make it engaging for the reader. I don't think this one is for me. Thanks for the insight!
I also thought it missed the kind of spark that keeps a reader interested. Pity though, I wanted to enjoy it.
powergirl
Currently Reading: The One
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by powergirl »

Interesting review!This story seems to be a about religion and faith.I love books on spirituality.
"To be or not to be that's the question" William Shakespeare
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good review and interesting book. Your review made me curious about this book even more.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Yes, the view from inside the cockpit is a unique perspective. It's too bad that there wasn't enough tension to keep the plot moving. The pace might be a little too slow for me.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Interesting storyline but due to the shortcomings you describe, I'll pass on this one. John seems like an incredible character though.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Fatima70
Currently Reading: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Fatima70 »

But then underlying adherence to ones believes, "whatever" , drive or regulate the warrior everywhere. I would have read if I was into strenous wartime accounts. Thanks for sharing the brief and your observations, others might relate distinctly to the emotional underpinnings of the warrior.
Loccitane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loccitane »

You lost me at "he must help defend Britain’s Christian freedom from Hitler’s regime of terror". Germans hold the same Christian values as Brits.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Loccitane wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 15:09 You lost me at "he must help defend Britain’s Christian freedom from Hitler’s regime of terror". Germans hold the same Christian values as Brits.
Except the fact that Hitler was German is irrelevent, and I see nowhere that says simply 'Germans', and not 'Hitler'.

And anyone who would argue that he was in any way Christian... Just...no.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Loccitane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loccitane »

Gravy wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 21:36
Loccitane wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 15:09 You lost me at "he must help defend Britain’s Christian freedom from Hitler’s regime of terror". Germans hold the same Christian values as Brits.
Except the fact that Hitler was German is irrelevent, and I see nowhere that says simply 'Germans', and not 'Hitler'.

Hitler without the support of the Germans wouldn't be able to do anything. And of course that he was Christian. Not all Christian do what you believe that Christian should do.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Loccitane wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 09:34
Gravy wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 21:36

Hitler without the support of the Germans wouldn't be able to do anything. And of course that he was Christian. Not all Christian do what you believe that Christian should do.
Many people claim they're religious and blame the horrible things they do on their "beliefs". Doesn't mean they actually are.

And again, the fact of it happening in Germany is irrelevant. Could have been anywhere. Could still happen anywhere.

People tend to forget that.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
prinjeh18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prinjeh18.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by prinjeh18 »

Your review give me an overview of the book. I love historical book. I want read this one. Your review give me an idea. Thanks!

Return to “Historical Fiction”