Official Review: Matilda the Queen by Richard

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Matilda the Queen by Richard

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Matilda the Queen" by Richard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matilda, The Queen by Richard S. Rose is a play of five acts set in twelfth century England, Germany and France. This historical fiction novel delves into the lives of the members of the royal family. Specifically, power struggle among the various kingdoms.

As with any family, the royal family isn't devoid of drama. The play begins with the old Matilda reminiscing about the days of her youth, especially how she was painfully robbed of the crown which was her birthright. At the tender age of seven, Matilda is betrothed to Henrich V and is forced to go and live at his castle in Germany. At the time, she is too young to understand why she has to leave her dear parents. Upon receiving the news, she is sad and confused but her mother, queen Edith, tells her that when it comes to these matters, they as women have no say. This arrangement is for the sake of the kingdom's future.

Surprisingly, Matilda takes this transition well and learns the ways of the court fast. Upon arrival at her new home, she is given a warm welcome and assigned a maiden, Maria, who becomes her confidante and friend. King Heinrich V is baffled by how young his bride to be is and wonders whether he will be able to stay celibate as he waits for Matilda to grow up and become his wife.

A series of unfortunate events befall the royals. Years after her marriage, Matilda is still childless. She then loses both her husband and her mother. This leaves the king of England a widower without a legitimate heir after his son, William, dies at sea. King Henry then informs Matilda that she will have to remarry in order to produce a legitimate heir to the throne of England. Matilda also finds her father a new wife who unfortunately, remains childless.

In the midst of these twists and turns, who will be the heir to the throne of England? With such a mix-up, war is inevitable but who will save the great Kingdom from this quagmire?

Reading this book was quite nostalgic as it took me back to my highschool days when I tried out for a play. What I liked most about it is that it is written in modern but colorful language that makes the story easy to grasp. The play is fairly short, at 150 standard pages from the PDF version I received. The characters are also well developed with distinct personalities. The themes of family drama, power struggle and male dominance take centre stage.

The only downside is that there is a cliffhanger towards the end. In my view, this is meant to leave the audience in suspense when it is performed on stage. There were minimal errors like large spacing between words and missing letters but these were easy to overlook and did not dim my reading experience. These could be reconciled with a round of editing. I therefore rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and I look forward to reading more works from this author.

Matilda the Queen
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MALAKBOUTARA
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MALAKBOUTARA »

That's nice! i would like to read it too :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I haven't read a play in a very long time. I'm not sure if it's something I would enjoy now or not. Sounds like this one is pretty good, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ankamah

Post by Ankamah »

That is a very nice story, I wish it continues so please add more to attract more attention thank you.
Ankamah

Post by Ankamah »

Matilda the Queen is such a wonderful story . Please add more to the preview to get more attraction thank you.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 13:47 I haven't read a play in a very long time. I'm not sure if it's something I would enjoy now or not. Sounds like this one is pretty good, though. Thanks for the review.
Thank you. I was also in the same situation. I hope you get to read it and bring out the inner English accent. Plays tend to have that effect on me. :D
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Ankamah wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 15:38 That is a very nice story, I wish it continues so please add more to attract more attention thank you.
You're welcome. I also hope there's a part two.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

MALAKBOUTARA wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 13:34 That's nice! i would like to read it too :techie-studyingbrown:
Thank you. I hope you get the chance to read it too.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Interesting review. I think I might enjoy the book as I love any royal dramas related.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 21:52 Interesting review. I think I might enjoy the book as I love any royal dramas related.
Thank you. The royals in this book really kept me entertained.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

According to the way this review has been writing it drives a deep interest within me to read this book. It sounds like a great master piece!

Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, I absolutely love the title and cover. Oh, the drama of royals! Glad it still maintains the colorful language reminiscent of plays despite being written in modern English. I definitely am eager to check it out. Thanks for the splendid review, Mercy!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 07:39 According to the way this review has been writing it drives a deep interest within me to read this book. It sounds like a great master piece!

Thank you!
Thank you for your feedback. The book really is a work of art.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Vickie Noel wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 10:52 Wow, I absolutely love the title and cover. Oh, the drama of royals! Glad it still maintains the colorful language reminiscent of plays despite being written in modern English. I definitely am eager to check it out. Thanks for the splendid review, Mercy!
Thank you. It's more like the drama and pettiness of the royals. :D
It is definitely worth checking out.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I like that you mentioned the writing style is more modern and easy to understand. Although I don't usually care for reading plays (would rather see them performed!), this one sounds interesting.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Historical Fiction”