Official Review: Water Thicker Than Blood

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Water Thicker Than Blood

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Water Thicker Than Blood" by Saundra Terrell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Water Thicker Than Blood by Saundra Terrell is a historical fiction novel that follows the lives of various people, concentrating each person's family history, character, the choices they make and their trials and tribulations as they navigate the murky waters of life.

The main protagonists are Martha, Johnny Mae, Martha's granddaughter, and Pearl. (Yes, Johnny Mae is a girl). We are introduced to Johnny Mae who at the time is just a little girl but is abandoned by her irresponsible father and left to live with strangers as her father works on the railroad. Martha's story begins when she is a young woman coming of age. As she grows older, an unfortunate event befalls her and she decides to put her dreams aside and get married. Pearl on the other hand lives in Philadelphia with her hardworking mother, her two siblings and her father who is a serial gambler. Although she takes after her mother's nurturing and caring traits, her sister on the other hand is irresponsible and selfish just like their father. Against all odds, Pearl manages to accomplish her dream of becoming a successful singer thus amassing wealth and she is both envied and admired by most of the people she interacts with.

The story is set in the mid 19th century to the mid 20th century. This is during and after the abolition of slavery in America where racism is rife and colorism is even stronger. In this era, a woman's place is predominantly the kitchen and educated women, especially educated women of color are a rare breed. What these three women have in common is that they are women of color, brilliant, hardworking and well educated, with Johnny Mae graduating form college. The major themes tackled in this book are adultery, rape, racism, family values, hard work, education, kindness and family integration.

I must admit that form the moment I started reading this book, I was engrossed in the story. It is well paced and I didn't feel like I was missing any bit of relevant information. The epub version I received is 280 pages long and I took the time to devour every bit of the story. It felt like I was right there in the middle of the action. The characters are relatable, well developed and each one stood out. It was easy to like, dislike or empathize with any character as soon as they were introduced. Although the book's main focus is on the female characters, the male characters also play an important role in shaping the women's lives.

Besides being an inspiring and entertaining read, the story was mostly predictable. I came across a few typos and missing words like on page 6 which reads, "Let them see your put your hands..." Instead of "Let them see you put your hands..." The first few words of each chapter are also written in uppercase. Given that the story is about black Americans, some slang used and this could be challenging for people who are not familiar with that kind of language. It is a relief that the story is told from the third person point of view because the slang only appears in dialogue. A few sex scenes popped up and this makes the book inappropriate for younger readers. This however did not diminish my enthusiasm for the story.

Water Thicker Than Blood conveys important life lessons on human interaction that are very much applicable in today's modern society. I would recommend it for feminists, anyone in a difficult relationship and anyone who desires a leap back in time. I therefore rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and I look forward to reading more works from this author.

Water Thicker Than Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Sounds like an interesting read. I am not much for historical fiction in general, although I do like reading about the American 19th-Century history. Great review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kislany wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 01:56 Sounds like an interesting read. I am not much for historical fiction in general, although I do like reading about the American 19th-Century history. Great review.
Thank you. This book really brought out the characters of that time period. The women especially had me giving it a round of applause.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Great review. I prefer stories whose endings are unpredictable. Though i have never tried reading historical fiction, i might give this one a go.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

Good review. I love romance novels with strong female characters and this looks just like the book for me. Will check it out.
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Marylynn wrote: 02 Dec 2017, 06:50 Great review. I prefer stories whose endings are unpredictable. Though i have never tried reading historical fiction, i might give this one a go.
Thank you. I hope you get the chance to read it.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Hildah Mose wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 13:55 Good review. I love romance novels with strong female characters and this looks just like the book for me. Will check it out.
Thank you. I picked up useful tips on finances an relationships from these women.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm a feminist and this definitely sounds like a book that I should check out.

Great Review! 😁
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I love when there are stories that are told in multiple perspectives, especially ones that tell the successes of the characters, such as Pearl becoming a successful singer. Also, I love when historical fiction dives into history that needs to be remembered like slavery. Too bad about the story being predictable and the typos, but I'm glad you enjoyed the lessons on human interactions and the read in general! Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

Sounds like a good historical fiction novel that covers significant subjects, such as racism and feminism. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Amagine wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 12:32 I'm a feminist and this definitely sounds like a book that I should check out.

Great Review! 😁
Please check it out. You won't be disappointed.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

hsimone wrote: 04 Dec 2017, 13:25 I love when there are stories that are told in multiple perspectives, especially ones that tell the successes of the characters, such as Pearl becoming a successful singer. Also, I love when historical fiction dives into history that needs to be remembered like slavery. Too bad about the story being predictable and the typos, but I'm glad you enjoyed the lessons on human interactions and the read in general! Thank you for the insightful review!
Thank you. I like books that leave me with something to ponder about.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

Yolimari wrote: 05 Dec 2017, 05:46 Sounds like a good historical fiction novel that covers significant subjects, such as racism and feminism. I am glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!
Thank you. These themes had me hooked and made the storyline even more interesting.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a pretty good book. I love books that I can get engrossed in like this one! Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Currently Reading:

Post by Mercelle »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Dec 2017, 08:49 Sounds like a pretty good book. I love books that I can get engrossed in like this one! Thanks for a great review.
You're welcome.
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Historical Fiction”