Review by Ravyn -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ravyn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... sterday</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ravyn.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Review by Ravyn -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Ravyn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Samyann is at heart a Chicago native, and it shows in this wonderfully elaborate twist of tales set in a kaleidoscope of eras that transport the readers back and forth between the Chicago of today and the Chicago left behind. The book is a stunning piece of historical fiction intertwined with a timeless romance. The book ventures into the idea of reincarnation; a delicate topic for exploration, particularly in the western hemisphere. It was partly the curiosity to experience how the author delved into such a contentious topic that drew me to select this book.

The story revolves around the undying love of an unlikely couple that has, in every sense, endured the test of time. A young woman, plagued with grief over the losses of her loved ones, struggles to open her heart again. Resigned to keeping those she has the potential to love at arm’s length, it takes the charm, arrogance and relentless determination of a dashing mounted policeman to ‘sweep her off her feet’. Their time together is riddled with flashbacks of lost loves and harrowing escapes not unlike the one that marked their first meeting.

Spanning across decades of troubled times and conflicts the story references events that to this day have left their imprint on the lives of the people of Chicago. The American Civil War and the Great Chicago fire of 1871 feature predominantly in the timeline; setting a vivid backdrop against which we see the complex intertwining of men and women bound together not just by blood but by unyielding ties of loyalty and love. It traces lines of descendants down to the modern era and alludes to the importance of keeping our ancestral history alive as their life stories can lend clarity and definition as to how we came to be.

Juggling several time periods without losing your audience is a skill not many authors have. The ingenuity of this piece of writing lies in the subtle links between the past and the present hidden in the symbolism of moments and artefacts. The appearance of a mounted policemen or as I envisioned or ‘a white knight’ as well as the ancient grandfather clock serve as relics of days gone by.

Unlike many novels, most characters in this book have a moment to shine and thus are all integral components of the tale. Even the horses and cats are portrayed with unique temperaments that add a touch of humour and most importantly a sense of relatability for the readers. I found it particularly gratifying that the author took caution not to isolate the characters of the story from the ‘real’ world by giving realistic and believable accounts of reactions by the press as well as sparing a moment to address the day to day jobs of the protagonists.

While I admire the author’s commitment to the thorough depiction of the trips back in time I felt that both the telling of the tale and the deductions and derivations discussed further on could have been incorporated in a single telling.

The book is a lesson in hope, one of mankind’s most defining traits. It appeals to the romantics who can rejoice in the reunion of star-crossed lovers of days gone by. The book also draws our attention most subtly, to the resilience of the city that the story takes place in by vividly describing its past catastrophe to the thriving city that has risen from the ashes. It shows us that hope can spring from the most unlikely of conditions, like a snowdrop emerging from the snow. It demonstrates an instance where the past helps mend the wrongs of the present when we are open to learn from it and heal.

I give Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation by author Samyann a rating of 4 out of 4 stars due to its well-researched glimpses of history accentuating the tale of romance in a way that left me feeling both satisfied with the conclusion as well as more knowledgeable than when I began reading. I believe the book will be enjoyed by both lovers of historical fiction and romantic novels alike.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ravyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. I like how you describe Amanda. You comments about hope as one of man's defining traits especially caught my eye. Great job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”