Review of When a Stranger Knocks

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Robert Andrew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-andrew.html
Latest Review: When a Stranger Knocks by Peggy Ann Shumway

Review of When a Stranger Knocks

Post by Robert Andrew »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When a Stranger Knocks" by Peggy Ann Shumway.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"When a Stranger Knocks" by Peggy Ann Shumway is a story of love and hope. Joaquina Souza witnesses the murder of her father and brother on the same day at the hands of a stranger. This adds to the distrust she already had for the strangers and hoe boys that came around looking for food and work on their farm. So when two strangers come knocking looking for work, she tells them to go; it's only the intervention of her brother that makes the two strangers stay. Noah and Michael meet under strange circumstances, with Michael running away from his stepfather after witnessing him kill his mother. He meets Noah on a train on his first experience jumping a train. Noah, a strange old man, and Michael come to the Souza farm, and their presence there brings about healing.

The plot is centered around Joaquina and Michael. The story takes place in the town of Merced, California, and it involves themes like love, hope, family, courage, etc. The author writes about the love story between Joaquina and Michael while also incorporating the lives and troubles of the residents of the town.

My favorite character in the book was Joaquina; her bravery, leadership, and courage are some of the things that I admire about her. She resolved to keep her family together and help them survive the tough times. She took action and didn't wait for others to fulfill her responsibilities.

I truly enjoyed this book from start to finish; the book was well-arranged and exceptionally edited. I commend the editor for such an amazing job. The characters all played their roles well, giving the book an exciting climax. There is nothing I dislike about the book.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. It was a great experience reading this story; the drama, tension, love, miracles, and hope interwoven in the story are what make the book deserving of a perfect rating. I highly recommend this book to lovers of love stories and to those who have lost a loved one or a close friend.

When a Stranger Knocks
View: on Bookshelves
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I have already read the book. Reading a book like "When a Stranger Knocks," which deals with themes of love and hope, offers numerous benefits to the reader. First and foremost, it highlights the human ability to recover and heal through human relationships and social interactions. The book presents the story of characters facing challenges and hardships, inspiring readers to contemplate the power of resilience and courage in difficult circumstances.

Secondly, the book addresses themes such as family, bravery, and hope, enhancing human understanding and enriching readers with fundamental concepts that form the basis of human life. Readers can learn from the characters' experiences and draw inspiration to develop themselves and view life from a more positive and optimistic perspective.

Thirdly, the book provides an enjoyable and thrilling reading experience, where drama and tension intertwine with romance and hope, making it suitable for lovers of romantic stories that prompt readers to reflect on the meanings of life and love.

Overall, "When a Stranger Knocks" is an opportunity to enjoy an inspirational novel that combines elements of humanity and hope, enhancing a comprehensive understanding of human relationships and the challenges that form the basis of human experiences.
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The book titled "When a Stranger Knocks" by Peggy Ann Shumway weaves a tale of love, hope, and resilience.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

Oh, ya know, I just read that review for "When a Stranger Knocks" by Peggy Ann Shumway. Gotta say, it sounds like a real good read, ya know. The story got love, hope, and even some mystery. The characters sound solid, especially this Joaquina gal. She sounds like a tough cookie, takin' charge and holdin' her family together. I reckon it's a 5 outta 5 for me, sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Don't ya know, I recommend it to anyone who likes a good love story mixed with a bit of drama and miracles. Inspiring message, left me feeling uplifted.

Return to “Historical Fiction”