Review of Blood on the Battlefield

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Walter The Woogobee by Brenda Beckelman

Review of Blood on the Battlefield

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood on the Battlefield" by Leo Stonewall Jackson Chilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Caleb Shepard is an honorable man who, at a young age, made the decision to fight for his country. Together with his three friends; Rueben, George, and Judd, he finds himself navigating the many different changes in his life. Not only must he survive war, but he must also have the courage to follow his heart if he wants a life with Elizabeth, the beautiful daughter of an army surgeon. Blood on the Battlefield by Leo Stonewall Jackson Chilson is the story of Caleb's coming-of-age.

I enjoyed the author’s writing style. While it was fairly simple and somewhat predictable, I was entertained by the tales of each of the boys. Additionally, the inclusion of storylines following their families’ and love interests’ lives added a layer of authenticity to the story. Seeing how the boys’ adventures affected more than just the four of them added a necessary layer of authenticity to the story. That being said, the writing felt slightly immature at times, and too much was being told to the audience instead of shown.

I am usually not a fan of long chapters in books, as they can sometimes make the reading experience feel tedious and dragged out. However, I found myself appreciating the lengthy chapters. They were easy to follow, and I believe they were more effective in drawing the reader into the story than shorter chapters would have been. I was also a great fan of the romantic storylines included throughout the book.

I would love to be able to say I had no negative points to bring up about the story, but that is not possible. While the plot was developed well and the characters were easily relatable, something that detracted from my enjoyment of the book was the copious amount of errors present. I believe the book would benefit hugely from another few rounds of editing. Had it not been for these many errors, I believe I would have happily bestowed upon the book a perfect rating.

Due to my thorough enjoyment of the book, and taking into account my negative points, I confidently rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The errors, while noticeable and sometimes distracting, would not prevent me from recommending the book to other readers.

I would happily recommend this book to readers who enjoy books that follow the lives of young characters, and those who are partial to historical fiction. Though there is minimal use of profanity there are some sexual themes included throughout the book, making it appropriate for those aged 17 and upwards.

Blood on the Battlefield
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The book titled "Blood on the Battlefield" by Leo Stonewall Jackson Chilson is a captivating coming-of-age story about Caleb Shepard and his friends. It’s an interesting read.
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I see that the book develops critical thinking. Furthermore, reading a book like "Blood on the Battlefield" offers multiple benefits, providing the reader with a deep understanding of history and culture through the journey of character maturity and their challenges. This story enhances critical thinking and inspires personal growth, as well as promoting human connection and social understanding, making it a profoundly valuable reading experience for those seeking historical novels that enrich understanding and foster personal development.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

Well, I gotta say, this book sounds like a real good read, y'all. It's all about this brave fella Caleb who goes off to fight in the war with his buddies and finds himself facin' some real tough choices along the way. The author's writin' style might be a bit simple at times, but it sure kept me entertained. I reckon the long chapters helped me get immersed in the story, and I gotta admit, them romantic storylines had me hooked. Now, I gotta mention, there were some dang errors that could've used some fixin', but overall, I reckon this book is a solid 4 outta 5 stars. If you're into them comin'-of-age tales with a historical twist, I'd sure as shootin' recommend givin' this book a go. Y'all won't be disappointed. Compelling drama, unfolded with intensity and depth.

Return to “Historical Fiction”