Official Review: Refugee by Reece Pocock

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Re: Official Review: Refugee by Reece Pocock

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

It sure is a nightmare kwahu. Thank you for stopping here and leaving a comment. Hope you will read the book.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Interesting. I’m always on the look-out for stories written during the war. I especially like that it seemed to be professionally-edited and the main character was easy to relate to. Thanks for the review! I would like to check this out.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you inaramid for stopping by and leaving a comment. It's good to know that you like war stories. Hope you read this one. You will enjoy it!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A story that follows the journey of a German soldier after WW2 sounds intriguing. Well-developed characters, detailed background, and intense plot should make a good read. That it is well edited is another plus. I am not fond of war stories, so will pass. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

Excellent review. This period of history is certainly a heartbreaking plight for all sides involved, not to mention the refugees who wish to make a new life. I empathise entirely with Rolf and his recurring nightmares of the war as well as wanting to fit in and escape from his catastrophic past. The writer's style is certainly quite flowing and descriptive of the tension that was brewing around that terrible time.
I will certainly read more of this novel in the future as I am a big fan of historical fiction.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

I have never tried any historical fiction as of now. Bu the character Rolf is really interesting.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Very interesting review!
I´m a huge WWII reader and the plot on this one is original, plus Rolf sounds like a very interesting character.
And, if it made you feel and even shed a few tears, it must be a great book.
Thank you! It goes to my to-read shelf.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical fiction novel that highlights word war II from the eyes of an ex German refugee. The book highlights the troubles being a citizen of a hated nation brings. I loved the book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. The onlinebookclub review was written masterfully.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Oh this story would be very interesting to soldiers, especially those that are still living. There should be a lot of violence in this novel.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

The author introduces the well-developed characters with a detailed background of their lives. What I liked most about this book was that as I read it, I got so engrossed in it that I felt like I was actually a silent character who was following the protagonist everywhere. I empathized with him and felt his pain. The author describes the war like it was actually happening in the present time. Reading this book has made me respect soldiers and appreciate their willingness to defend their countries at whatever cost. I also learned that some soldiers go to war, not because they are willing, but because they are considered fit and able by their governments.
This kind of detail is what makes a book, for me. Even flawed characters, like Rolf, who we know right away is liar and somewhat of a scoundrel, must have some good in them to carry a novel successfully.

Thanks for your thoughtful review.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Thank you for your review. This is not a book I would normally read, but the sample I read was very interesting. I have trouble reading about Nazi's, but I could feel Rolf's pain in just the little bit I read. This will go in my TBR pile.
Ahlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahlily.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ahlily »

One of the hastags on Twitter stated that this is also a romance, but there is no mention of a romance taking place in the review. I would definitely be interested in this novel for its historical detail, but would be even more interested if there was a good romance story embedded as well (I'm a sucker for a good romance). The lack of romance being mentioned in the review, honestly, makes me weary about reading this book. But I still may read Refugee just for the historical aspect.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Nice review. This book sounds like a good fit for fans of historical fiction especially those centered around WWII or war in general. The experiences of the soldiers sound especially drought with danger, loyalty, and emotion. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
cosette1789
Currently Reading: Invisible Ink
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cosette1789.html

Post by cosette1789 »

I'm not usually a fan of war stories, but the idea of a German soldier as a refugee after WWII is an interesting idea. It's nice to hear that it was enjoyable to read, despite the difficult subject matter. Thank you for this detailed review.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

So far I have only read the free sample for this book, but I can definitely see how the author worked to capture the fast-paced, chaotic nature of combat in his writing. The scenes that involve battle go by very quickly, and don't give the reader much time to think about the surroundings or any minor details. There is only the battle. I can definitely see what you mean in terms of sadness. I'm only small was into the book, and I can already tell that there is much more pain to come for poor Rolf. I am not much of a history buff, but I do enjoy a well written story regardless of the topic, and it looks like Refugee may deliver that.

Return to “Historical Fiction”