Official Review: Refugee by Reece Pocock

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: Refugee by Reece Pocock

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Refugee" by Reece Pocock.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reece Pocock, the author of refugee, has done an excellent job of taking us through what soldiers experienced during the Second World War. The protagonist, a German by the name Rolf, is nearly killed in Tobruk during the battle of El Alamein and gets mentally affected. This sees him admitted in a psychiatric hospital in Italy. On returning to Germany, Rolf discovers that he has lost his family to an air raid. Using the identification documents of a dead man, he passes for a Polish refugee and crosses over to Australia with other Poles to settle as refugees. A recurring nightmare of his near death experience at war gets him in trouble when he sleep-talks in German and is overheard by the Poles. How will he get out of this mess? He is in Australia where Germans are hated for fighting the Australians during the war. His identity is now at stake. He came out here to start a new life and shake off the nightmare but things are not turning out well.

The author introduces the well-developed characters with a detailed background of their lives. What I liked most about this book was that as I read it, I got so engrossed in it that I felt like I was actually a silent character who was following the protagonist everywhere. I empathized with him and felt his pain. The author describes the war like it was actually happening in the present time. Reading this book has made me respect soldiers and appreciate their willingness to defend their countries at whatever cost. I also learned that some soldiers go to war, not because they are willing, but because they are considered fit and able by their governments.

What I did not like about this book was the sadness I experienced though this is expected in any book about war. Rolf went through a tough decision making process and had to do the unimaginable. At some point I shed tears.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author must have had it professionally edited making it an easy read. The formatting was well done and I did not come across mistakes. War stories may sound complicated to read but in this case, the author has given enough details to make it easy to understand.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes war stories and those who would like to read and see what it is all about. It is a good book for those who would like to read about someone who lost everything including family members and had to start living from scratch in a foreign country with strangers. There are gory scenes for the strong hearted.

Refugee
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Okoko's review? Post a comment saying so!
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

This book sounds like an interesting historical fiction novel, which is a genre I really like. I am curious as to the reactions of the Poles if they find out who he is. Yes, not all the soldiers who fought in WWII was because they wanted. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't even imagine what the protagonist went through in this novel. This sounds like an interesting but heart wrenching read. Thanks for sharing it with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the great review. The book sounds sombre but interesting. I'm curious about how it plays out in Australia. Yes, Kudos to soldiers!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you all for your kind comments. I hope you get to read it. A very interesting experience of World War ll.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I might just enjoy this given my family's past in the military. Great review Rose.
Loccitane
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loccitane »

Great review. Very passionate.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you for reading and leaving a comment. Hope you enjoy reading it. It's a very interesting military story.
Davis david pedrosa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Davis david pedrosa »

It's a wonderful story about the second world.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thanks Davis. It is a wonderful World War ll story and i hope you will read it. May you enjoy.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! Though it does not seem to be the book for me, i enjoyed reading your views on it.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you The Researcher for taking your time to read the review and comment even though it is not your type of read. Very much appreciated!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I can't imagine living as a refugee more so under a false identity. The fact that this book is well edited is a plus for me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Mercy Bolo for stopping by and leaving a comment. Hope you will enjoy reading it. It is an easy read.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Post by kwahu »

This is a nightmare! Am just trying to imagine how he will escape such a predicament and the feeling that this is too much for Rolf to endure.

Return to “Historical Fiction”