Official Review: Not From The Stars

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Not From The Stars

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not From The Stars" by Christina Britton Conroy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you love to read about Downton Abbey era England as much as I do, you are in for a real treat with Christina Britton Conroy’s, Not From The Stars, Book 1 of His Majesty’s Theatre series. This story has all the requirements of a Shakespearian play; star- crossed lovers, controlling fathers, and cruel betrothal arrangements. We first get a taste of what life was like for theater players, Jeremy and Katherine, before we are launched into the life of Elissa, pronounced “Eleza”. Elissa’s young life is a disconsolate one due to her mother dying during childbirth and essentially being abandoned by her father except when she suits some purpose for him. Her life isn’t all miserable though, she does find happiness in the boarding school that she attends where she essentially lives a double life by keeping her home life a secret.

The first half of the novel is dedicated to Jeremy, Katherine, and their theater associates at His Majesty’s Theatre. We’re able to discover the ups and downs of their lives and the twisted fate that may become them because of their connection to theater life. Life is difficult for anyone involved in the theater, money can be scarce, living conditions harsh, and sometimes trouble finds them even though they’re running as fast as they can in the opposite direction. Jeremy and Katherine’s characters are very well written and relatable. I found it hard to tear myself away from their storyline when Elissa’s first began.

Although Jeremy and Katherine’s storyline was delightful, Elissa’s was enthralling. I found myself completely sucked in once I got the hang of the story switch. I couldn’t help but love her passion for life, no matter how much her father tried to snuff it out. With her love of theater and acting being her one main outlet, she begins to blossom even more when she discovers her gift for painting the world around her. The only thing that diminishes her joy in these arts is the fact that once she is done with school for the year, she will be forced into an arranged marriage with a cruel and malicious man.

I enjoyed reading this book very much with its first person perspective, while the perspective would switch between characters, I was never confused as to whose thoughts I was in. Although Elissa’s character has the most growth, all of the main characters are well rounded and are given some background to their stories. The secondary characters are also well written, giving depth to the story. It was easy to love the ones I was supposed to love, and even easier to despise the antagonists. The novel was well written and edited with only a few minor errors that didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the novel.

While I truly enjoyed reading this book, there were a few details that detracted from the story a little bit for me. The main point that bothered me was the first scene switch between the theater characters and Elissa’s life. The switch was such an unexpected one that it caused me to review my notes and I ended up re-reading the three chapters before the switch to see if there was something that I had missed. Another thing that bothered me was that it almost felt as if the novel was two books in one. Jeremy and Katherine’s story was pretty much abandoned once Elissa’s story started, although there is a hint of their stories intertwining towards the end. The last thing that took away from the book for me was the very end; the book was left on what felt like the middle of a thought. I understand it was meant to be a cliffhanger, but it was a little too much of one for me. At the same time, I can’t wait for the second novel to be released so I can continue with this story.

While these few points did detract from the story for me, I enjoyed the story too much to demote my rating of the novel much. I was entranced with the characters and completely involved in their hopes, sorrows, and triumphs. Because of this I give Not From The Stars, a 3 out of 4 stars. I believe that history lovers of all kinds will enjoy this novel.

Not From The Stars
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I suppose I have never really thought about what the life of actors was like 100 years ago. I think that part alone would potentially make the story interesting. Thanks for the review!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

The stories in this book seem quite modern even though the plot is set at the "Downton Abbey era England." I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it'll be to my taste since I hate cliffhangers, so I'll think about it. Anyways, thanks for this very detailed review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I recently watched a movie about theater life and I can see that this book paints a vivid picture. It can be tough sometimes.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I love the theatre, so this sounds like one for me - thanks for the review.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound kind of interesting. I don't think it would be for me, though. I do enjoy that period in history, but not quite so much from the play perspective. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I love the cover art of the book. I am all for reading about the life of Shakespearean actors, impossible loves, and the unfair arranged marriages of the time. I am not sure I would like the two-books-in-one structure. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Historical Fiction”