Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many of the historical fiction books that I have read have included scenes of ballrooms, worries about fortunes, future, reputation, and honor. This book includes all these elements, yet it has something more. The protagonist of this book makes choices and goes on a journey that will impact her life in a major way. This book also takes a look at the beginning of the suffragette movement and shows the difficulties women faced to get equality.

Mistress Suffragette is written by Diana Forbes and published by Penmore Press. It is a historical fiction set in 1893 America during what was known as the Panic, an economic recession that impacted and destroyed many lives.

Penelope Stanton is at the crossroads of her life. Her old, stable life is crumbling around her, and she must make difficult decisions that will shape her future. The world is experiencing the Panic and her affluent family is one of those who are affected. In order to secure her and the family’s future, her mother tries to push her into the arms of any man that will have her. This is when she meets Mr. Daggers. He is an attractive, rich, and charming man. Save for one problem. Mr. Daggers is already married. However, he does not seem to find this a problem and proposes to make her his mistress. Penelope resists Mr. Daggers offer, and together with her good friend, Lucinda, she leaves for Boston.

Here they meet Verdana, one of the main leaders of the suffrage movement, who is eager for Penelope to join her in the cause. Although at first, she does not have much inclination towards this cause, Penelope soon learns that this is her calling, and becomes heavily involved in the suffrage movement. Penelope thinks that she has run to Boston, away from her troubles, only to find that they seem to follow wherever she goes.

I liked the fact that the book was not predictable, and that the main character Penelope is not flawless. Her career is progressing on the one hand, yet on the other hand, she is regressing in terms of her love life.

I really enjoyed this book and found it both interesting and captivating. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction especially those who would like to get a sense of what it was like for the women who struggled for their rights during this time period and as a reminder of how far we’ve come.

The book has won several awards, such as first place in the Missouri Romance Writers of America(RWA) “Gateway to the Best” contest in Women’s fiction, first place in the Book Excellence Awards for Romance and several other favorable commendations.

Much of the time period is based on true events although not all facts are strictly adhered to, according to the author. Some of the other characters in the book are also inspired by certain individuals who lived at that time.

Some historical fiction books tend to be written in heavy language to portray the language of the time and to seem more historically accurate. However, in this book the style of writing is relatively modern and easy to read. The characters are well crafted, the storyline is interesting, and the book is well written. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I enjoy stories with strong female protagonists. The women's suffrage movement was such an interesting time in our nation's history. I hope this author's style of writing will encourage more young women to read about the time period.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like quite the story. I love that it has all of the historical fiction elements plus something extra. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

I enjoy reading aboiut historical fiction and this book has an added element of the revolution. Nice review! Hoing to add this book in my to-read list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Thanks for the lovely comments. I'm sure you will enjoy this book as much as I did.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This looks like a wonderful historical fiction in an easy-to-read style of writing. I don't often read historical novels, but this review made me curious about it. I enjoyed your review, stoppoppingtheP.
Lencha Fikiru
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Lencha Fikiru »

Wonderful historical ficition to me!
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I'm passionately interested in the Suffragettes (though I know more about the UK ones) and this sounds like a fascinating read.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Mistress Suffragette sounds like a story I would enjoy reading very much. I am interested in the portrayals of the Panic and the suffrage movement. Thanks for the good review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Shalini1976

Post by Shalini1976 »

I like reading historical books. This book would be nice to read.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell

Post by Kat Berg »

I have yet to read anything about the Suffragette movement, which is very strange now that I think about it. This sounds like an interesting introduction to the subject.
Mabsr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Mabsr »

I will go for it. Thank you.
Murmuring Letters
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murmuring-letters.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by Murmuring Letters »

I really enjoy reading historical literature, especially those books that talk about women's rights and have strong female characters. This book sounds so perfect for me, thank you for your honest review! In my opinion, the problem with historical fiction is the fact that it's often too dry and purely informative and doesn't feel like a story but more like a lecture. So I appreciate that this book is written more like a story despite following factual events that took place in history.
Rowenaattolba

Post by Rowenaattolba »

Love to read.. Because its not predictable so you can enjoy reading
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Now this is one book I should pick up. I like that the protagonist is portrayed as a flawed human being.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Historical Fiction”