Review of Brothers Bound

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Onyinyechi Obi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-obi.html
Latest Review: De facto Pathfinder by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Review of Brothers Bound

Post by Onyinyechi Obi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Brothers Bound" by Bruce K. Berger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

War is never beautiful, and there are usually no winners, only survivors. The battlefield is a crucible of chaos, forging scars that run deeper than flesh and blood. It also transcends beyond physical pain and death. For those who survive, they never really survive. The mental and emotional toll lingers, a constant reminder of the trauma they've endured, a burden that weighs heavy on their hearts and minds, a painful legacy that more often than not changes the course of their lives. "Brothers Bound" by Bruce K. Berger is a very emotional narrative about the complexities of war and its devastating consequences for all parties involved. 

Buck and Hues are drafted into the Vietnam War, where the former focused on drafting sympathy letters to families who have lost their loved ones in military service, while Hues was primarily assigned to the grave department and was in charge of collecting injured and dead soldiers. In a bid to lend a helping hand to the grave department, Buck, alongside Hues, is caught in the middle of an attack from the enemy soldiers. From then on, they became prisoners of war in Vietnam. Buck's dream of marrying his girlfriend Jeanine in Hawaii and holding his baby seems to be fading away quickly. Courage and heart weren't in short supply, but something had to be done about it. Dying as a prisoner of war was never in their plans. 

The impact of war on individuals, communities, and society is a compelling and devastating theme in the story. War shatters lives, destroys communities, and divides society, leading to long-lasting effects that can be felt for years to come. Buck and Hues's experiences show the physical and emotional toll of war on individuals, including psychological trauma, physical injury, and moral distress.

The story also highlights the destructive impact of war on communities, where villages are ruined and civilians are displaced. The narrative ultimately encourages readers to consider the human cost of war and the need for sustainable solutions that prioritize human life, dignity, and well-being. The book's theme of friendship and brotherhood is another interesting one. Buck and Hues, despite their different backgrounds and beliefs, form a strong bond that becomes a lifeline for both of them amid chaos and hardship. Their friendship is built on trust, emotional support, shared experiences, and mutual respect and has been tested and proven true through numerous challenges and traumatic events. The author also explored the theme of resilience, showing how it was the lifeblood of Buck and Hues' journey as they faced unimaginable challenges and horrors during war. Through their struggles, the story showcases the extraordinary capacity of humans to adapt, cope, and survive in the face of adversity. The theme of memory and escapism is also explored by the author through Buck and his constant visit to his memory room in times of distress to seek some sort of solace and mental strength. 

The plot is primarily set in war-torn Vietnam and its jungles. Some parts of the plot are also set in the United States, the home country of the protagonists. I would recommend this book to lovers of war narratives and anyone who loves a fantastic book. I'll rate this book 5 out of 5. It was well edited, with nothing to dislike.

Brothers Bound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

This book reminds me of the movie "The Deer Hunter," one of the prominent films that realistically and poignantly portrayed war, achieving great success as a war drama that reflects the complex human aspects during military conflicts. It's also wonderful to find books that discuss this topic. Your review was rich in information.
Sandre Lamar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"Brothers Bound" by Bruce K. Berger delves deep into the harrowing realities of war, portraying the profound emotional and psychological toll on its characters.
Slippy Spectrum
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slippy-spectrum.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Slippy Spectrum »

Well shucks, y'all, after reading this review, I gotta say, "Brothers Bound" by Bruce K. Berger sounds like a mighty fine read! It seems to give a powerful insight into the harsh realities of war and its impact on folks, both physically and mentally. The strong bond of friendship between Buck and Hues adds a touch of hope in the midst of all that chaos. I reckon I'll give this book a solid 5 outta 5, 'cause it seems to hit all the right notes. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Y'all should give it a go too! Gripping tension, kept me on the edge of my seat.

Return to “Historical Fiction”