Review of Mary of the Woods

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Mary of the Woods by Charles Theriault

Review of Mary of the Woods

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mary of the Woods" by Charles Theriault.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Mary of the Woods" by Charles Theriault tells the story of a young Acadian girl, a Mi'kmaq warrior, and a persistent family who embark on a journey of survival and unity, braving the relentless onslaught of greed and cruelty inflicted by the British. Set against the backdrop of a tumultuous time in Canadian history, the author masterfully weaves a tale of the human spirit's resilience in the face of adversity.

Mary's story was like a wild river, full of twists and turns that tugged at my heartstrings. As I followed her journey through a world of cruelty and greed, I couldn't help but be moved by the changes that rocked the lives of the people in Atlantic Canada. I have always had an interest in historical events around the world, so I was quite familiar with the historical context of the Great Acadian Expulsion. I've heard both French and English perspectives passed down through generations, but this book gave me a unique and eye-opening view of the events. From the vivid writing and engaging characters to the authentic portrayal of time and place, this book was an absolute delight to read. I was fully immersed in the story. The writing was engaging; it also imparted valuable knowledge. One thing I learned, especially from the character of John, was that life can be so unpredictable. Some things happen beyond our control, and if by any chance we get a second shot, we should grab it. 

I love the author's attention to the strength and power of the female characters. Plus, this book has no notable negatives, so I rate it a 5 out of 5. I must commend the author because, while this book begins from two different perspectives, they skillfully weave these two narratives together, creating a powerful and unified perspective that adds depth and meaning to the story. I highly recommend this book to history buffs.

Mary of the Woods
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mojisola-omowunmi-omotosho.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho »

Thank you for your insightful review! It sounds like "Mary of the Woods" offers a captivating and heartfelt narrative that brings the historical context of the Great Acadian Expulsion to life. The author's skillful weaving of perspectives and strong female characters seems to create a rich and immersive reading experience. Your recommendation is much appreciated; I'll definitely consider adding this book to my reading list!
A Blissful World!
Obido Samuel Chiemerie
Favorite Book: Quest: Finding Freddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obido-samuel-chiemerie.html
Latest Review: Towars New Goals by Bernadino Schwimmeltrik

Post by Obido Samuel Chiemerie »

“Mary of the Woods” by Charles Theriault is a poignant and immersive exploration of resilience and unity against historical injustice. Theriault’s vivid storytelling and deep character development offer a fresh, nuanced perspective on the Great Acadian Expulsion. The seamless integration of multiple viewpoints and the strong portrayal of female strength elevate the narrative, making it a compelling and educational read. Highly recommended for history enthusiasts seeking a profound and engaging historical account.
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

A successful choice! I adore novels that tell deep stories about human resilience and the impact of historical events on individuals' lives. They are inspirational topics.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

"Mary of the Woods" by Charles Theriault beautifully captures the resilience of Acadian and Mi'kmaq characters amidst historical upheaval. A poignant narrative blending history and humanity, it's a captivating journey of survival and unity.

Return to “Historical Fiction”