Review of Barton Place

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Tales of Terratal: Beyond the Event Horizon by Doppless Regalia

Review of Barton Place

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Barton Place" by Stephan Bellesini.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A stranger wet to his core due to the rain knocked on the gate of the Barton Estate one late evening. Mr. Lawrie, the butler, let him in because he was a man of science and could probably help with Evelyn's illness. Meanwhile, Evelyn was on her death bed, and when the stranger was called to help a senior doctor called Dr. Talbott, he instead took the lead and saved her life. But who is this stranger, and where does he come from? 

Mr. Reed, on the other hand, is a lawyer with a physical disability who has dedicated his law practice to helping the poor. This is because he is an orphan and knows what it means to come from a humble background. He, however, makes a choice that seemed to be a mistake at first but later turned out to be fate. He decides to take on the debt of one of his clients. Due to this choice, he closes his law practice and heads to the Barton estate in search of new employment. When he reaches there, he also learns about the strange man who brought Evelyn back to good health. To find out more, please get yourself a copy of the book Barton Place, written by Stephan Bellesini and narrated by Ean Leppin.

I enjoyed the incredible narration style used by Ean Leppin. His voice is calming and sounds very friendly. Additionally, he takes into account the different voices and emotions felt by the characters. This means that for the different characters in the book, he uses a unique voice, and for the different emotions felt by the characters, he makes his voice sound like the emotion they are feeling. Not only that, he employs different sound effects in the book, and they also relate to the events happening in the book. For example, if a door is opened by a character, there is also a sound effect of the door creaking. This is really incredible if you ask me, and it simply means that Ean Leppin is a skilled book narrator.

Another thing worth mentioning is the incredible character building in the book. There are several characters in the book, such as Reed, Henry, Mr. Barton, Keller, Evelyn, and Abby, among others. The author introduces each character well and gives us a background story about who exactly they are. After listening to the first chapter, I knew exactly who most of the characters were and what was happening in the book.

I also liked that the mystery behind who Alexey Vasili truly is was hidden from the reader until the very end of the book. This brought a lot of suspense and mystery, and I kept wondering who he was. I even imagined him to be from a foreign country or an alien, but when his identity was revealed, my jaw dropped in surprise.

There's absolutely nothing I disliked about this book, so I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I didn't notice any errors while listening to it, which leads me to believe that the editing is flawless. I recommend this book to lovers of mystery, suspense, and history because that's what the book entails.

Barton Place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: The Newton Code by Liam Fialkov

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Thanks for an intriguing review! I love a good mystery. I also love a good audiobook with a great author and immersive sound effects. Definitely a book to keep in mind.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mojisola-omowunmi-omotosho.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 175%

Post by Mojisola Omowunmi Omotosho »

Based on your insightful review, "Barton Place" by Stephan Bellesini, narrated by Ean Leppin, sounds like a captivating read with its skilled narration and compelling character development. The mystery surrounding Alexey Vasili adds an intriguing twist, keeping readers engaged. Your detailed commentary on the narration style and character depth makes me eager to check out the book myself!
A Blissful World!
Areena David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Areena David »

I think this is the novel I'm looking for. I really like novels that deal with the theme of mysterious strangers.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The character development is rich, and the mystery surrounding Alexey Vasili kept me hooked until the surprising end.

Return to “Historical Fiction”