Official Review: War Cry by Dave Lloyd

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: War Cry by Dave Lloyd

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "War Cry" by Dave Lloyd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's something magical about reading a book on how things used to be. Perhaps it is the longing humans have for times past, maybe it is a throwback to a simpler time, or maybe we are just fascinated at how different the world around us used to be. War Cry by Dave Lloyd capitalizes on all of these sentiments and leads the reader to the infancy of North America and the heyday of its fur trapping period.

After killing two brothers in a duel while in the 10th Royal Hussars, James Hamilton sheds his commission, family name, and well to do English family to jump on a ship to the new world. Without much of a plan, except to start over now known as James Palmer, he soon finds himself in St. Louis, out of money, and looking for a means of employment. Having heard about the untamed beauty of the American wilderness, it isn't surprising that he quickly ends up on the payroll of "The Company", one of several fur trading companies of the time, as a clerk. Needless to say, James' life changes forever as he makes his way up the Missouri for the first trading season. His military experience and expert dueling skills come in handy as he and his new comrades attempt to survive the trapping season against the elements, the wildlife, and the hostile natives of the area.

I was sucked into Lloyd's story immediately. He has a way of writing that easily places the reader squarely beside his protagonist in the backwoods of Yellowstone, the fields of England, or a Mississippi riverboat. The reality of his book, that much of this really happened in one shape or form (if not exactly like this), is refreshing and allows the reader to relate even more to the words in front of him/her. You can't help wondering how you would do had you grown up in those wild times instead of living the life you do today. What I like the best about this book, however, is that it isn't only a great story in and of itself. Very subtly, Lloyd is educating you on North American history, native culture, the fur trading enterprise, the colonization of the West, and much more. Even if you weren't looking for it, you come away a smarter person having read this book.

There were only a couple of minor items I disliked in this book. Although professionally edited, I did come across a few typos/errors, but none of this took away from my enjoyment of the story. What I liked the least was that although it only had one timeline, the book was somewhat disjointed. There was, arguably four or five individual stories throughout this novel. Each of these stories had very little influence on the others. The pieces flowed together very well and I still enjoyed them all, but if that writing style annoys you, you may have more of an issue with it than I did.

Despite those minor points mentioned above, I am more than happy to give this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was exciting, educational, and brought out the inner adventurer in me. Anyone that loves historical fiction, wilderness stories, or stories about the early colonization of North America should immediately add this to their to-read list. If you don't like violence in your books or are squeamish when it comes to makeshift medical procedures, you may want to skip this one as they both play prominent roles in the book. All in all, I loved War Cry and am convinced that if you pick it up too, you'll be just as engrossed as I was.

War Cry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Scerakor, this was a nicely written review! You drew me in right away and I wanted to read the book! I have to find just the right mood for this genre, but there are times when I really love a good historical novel, especially when it goes into details about what things were like and draws me into the time, place, and life. It is going on my to read shelf!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Beautiful review. I could actually see myself transported back in time through your eyes.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Lovely review. In some aspects, things were simpler back then. But I still don't want to live without the internet.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Historical fiction is not my go to genre, but I do enjoy it every once in a while. Sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Great review! I have not read many books written in the setting of the American wilderness. The setting can really carry the story and it looks like it has in this case.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Nice review. This book will transport me to a time of discovery and simplicity. For that, I would greatly enjoy it.
Piyali27
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piyali27.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Piyali27 »

Great review!! :) It sounds interesting, would definitely like to read the book.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Thanks for the review, it is excited, and therefore, makes the book sounds interesting.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love stories that take me back in time. This is in an area of the country not normally focused on in historical fiction. It's nice to see more and more time periods being covered in this way.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

Your review is great and enticing. I love novels that explain how life was long ago, it gives me a sense of belonging. The novel is explaining the great lengths that people go to in order to achieve what they want.
Mpruett-09
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mpruett-09.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Mpruett-09 »

I love historical fiction and your great review makes me want to pick this one up and read it right away!

Thank you for the great recommendation.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

I love books with multiple narratives that weave through one another, and the setting sounds fascinating. Definitely worth a consideration. Thank you for the great review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This makes me wish that authors from where I am would write more of our history. I've read a few novels set in the early days of America, and I've actually enjoyed them. I would definitely give this a try. Thanks for the review.
benzharvey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benzharvey.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by benzharvey »

I like history and, I guess that I will enjoy reading this book. I love a historical fiction book. Thanks.

Return to “Historical Fiction”