Official Review: The Deserving by Efren O'brien

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Official Review: The Deserving by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Deserving by Efren O'Brien is a self-published historical fiction. It was released on August 16, 2017.

The story starts in mid-1862 when General Henry Hopkins Sibley and 3000 volunteers involving his Confederate Brigade rode over the abandon from San Antonio Texas to the New Mexico Territory. Sibley and his men needed to vanquish New Mexico and Colorado, at that point just regions and build up a Confederate government all through the whole Western US. Amid this time a youthful New Mexican named E'mile Deschampes who was only eighteen at the time enrolled in the Union Army as a scout to restrict the Confederates in New Mexico. E'mile is almost murdered at the Battle of Valverde Ford close Socorro, New Mexico in February of 1862. He is saved from the combat zone by a neighborhood villager Carmen Reyes. Together, at Valverde, they start their relationship and peculiar odyssey with a merciless Confederate Lieutenant, Aubrey McGrath. Their conflict with McGrath will keep going for over twenty years and about cost them their lives. Also, as fortunes and destiny have an influence in life's occasions, the couple experience McGrath after the war in Santa Fe in the late 1800's. McGrath tries again without progress to murder E'mile. E'mile plans for one last fight against his long-term match as Carmen is captured in Santa Fe, while the city manages the Reconstruction of that time.

Will Carmen and E'mile survive and live to tell the story of their experience with their previous enemy from the Civil War? Or, on the other hand, will New Mexico's future be devoured by the severe methods in its past, and McGrath and his group win out?

The Deserving is an elegantly composed historical fiction. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The plot of the book is full of twists and turns which makes the story exceptionally intriguing. While the reader may have some knowledge about the Civil War, this story is completely unpredictable throughout the narrative right to the last page. To me, this makes this book an awesome read as I didn't simply hop to the last part to affirm I had effectively made sense of the storyline and conclusion. Additionally, a portion of the history and relics of the New Mexico Territory as depicted all through the storyline motivate me to investigate going by New Mexico. The landscapes of Mexico are delightfully depicted in the book.

The characters of the book are very strong. They provide a depth to the plot of this book. I liked E'mile’s character the most. He is portrayed as a warrior in the book. His courage to fight till the end has motivated me a lot. Besides, he is an extremely brave and gutsy person. Further, the battlefields are wonderfully depicted in the book. The portrayal appears to be realistic to the point that the reader could feel being present there. The story of the book satisfies the title of the book.

The author has spent a lot of time in researching the facts and did very well to include them in this story. He did well to honor the real men who battled in this war and also nurtured his main character to play a very outstanding role in the story. I definitely look forward to a sequel to this story, or maybe another story in the same genre. I enjoyed reading this book.

The language of the book is easy to read and understand. Further, I could not find any major mistakes in the book that could hinder my reading. The chapters and paragraphs are properly separated, which facilitates the readers. I would recommend this book to those who like to read historical fictions.

The Deserving
View: on Bookshelves

Like Naval Aulakh's review? Post a comment saying so!
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Though history is not my best subject, and wars are not my favorite topic, I am intrigued by this book.

Thanks for sharing your reading experience, Naval Aulakh. I feel like I fought the Confederates too.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

This is a very great book with a great review. Thanks

-- 15 Oct 2017, 07:32 --

I love the themes discussed in the book i.e. love. Also showing how some people tend to hold grudges for long in this case McGrath who chases his perceived enemies for many years. It shows that we humans are the ones who may destroy ourselves and others
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Historical fiction is a hard genre to do well. It takes quite a bit of research. Sounds like this author did very well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

Nice. It reminds me of the 1850 movie.
Josebrish
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Josebrish »

The book is full of twists and turns which makes the story exceptionally intriguing...
Naval Aulakh

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Miriam Molina wrote:Though history is not my best subject, and wars are not my favorite topic, I am intrigued by this book.

Thanks for sharing your reading experience, Naval Aulakh. I feel like I fought the Confederates too.
Thanks for your appreciating the review. :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I like that the author paints a vivid picture of historical events. I'll definitely add it to my list.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't think I've read any Civil War historical fiction books based in Texas or New Mexico. It sounds like an interesting story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Tcharlyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcharlyn.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Tcharlyn »

History is not my favorite subject to read but I might consider reading this book because of an interesting review.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Naval Aulakh

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Tcharlyn wrote:History is not my favorite subject to read but I might consider reading this book because of an interesting review.
Thanks for appreciating the review. I am glad that you would consider reading this book :)
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

There are always some hard and tricky aspects of historical novels but this sounds okay, thank you for the nice review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Naval Aulakh

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Cloe101 wrote:There are always some hard and tricky aspects of historical novels but this sounds okay, thank you for the nice review.
I am glad that you liked the review. Thanks for your appreciation.
mayambala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mayambala »

Urges mi to deep down into mexican tactics of survival
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

For me, historical fiction is a hit or miss. It really depends on the topic and whether the research is there. I'm glad that this author did their research properly. Great review, Naval Aulakh.

Return to “Historical Fiction”