Official Review: Acts of Sedition by Dennis Stephan

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Meyerhe
Currently Reading: Out of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meyerhe.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Re: Official Review: Acts of Sedition by Dennis Stephan

Post by Meyerhe »

I'm not usually one to really get into stories about pushing certain politics and social views. I'd rather pick up a book that is more focused on just telling a story. That being said though, sometimes reading a story of what could be our future if we're not careful is a much needed eye opener and makes you think of things in a new light and it puts things in perspective that you may or may not normally think of.
Mr nino
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mr nino »

Well is a sad one and I say to my self if there is any place for Sedition in a Democratcy? The present practice of misapplication of the sedition law aims to crush all opposition to the ruling polical party and though a very small number of sedition cases lead to actual conviction, it harasses the accused.
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Based on your review I'm getting a copy, but I think I'll need to be in the right mood to read it. I get very frustrated with politics, especially with today's issues. I will get around to this one though, because it looks like a great story. Thanks for the review!
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

It sounds a little too thrilling for me. I’m glad that you enjoyed it though. Thanks for the great review!
tenon_2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tenon_2018 »

The storyline of the book is very striking and provocative. I will agree that the sex scene does not contribute to the already well paced and graphic nature of the story. I give the story 4 stars too out of 4, seldom do stories keep the reader engaged until the end. The male writer was able to account for a woman's feeling and emotions impressively.
Nonnette Bennett, Philippines
GenetheBiologist
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by GenetheBiologist »

After reading the sample I can't help but think of the similarities in our current politics. A must be read book. The review makes me want to read and finish reading the book.
aajumbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aajumbo.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by aajumbo »

This book talks about the political landscape of the United States when they elected a strict believer of Sheria law as their head of State who implement it to the people strictly.it is a political story and an eye opener of dictatorship in the United States of America
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
LunarLady0009
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by LunarLady0009 »

:D I love the concept of this literary work and that was quite a well written review! As stated, this story portrays today's political difficulties and i rather like that. I think it brings awareness of what is going on and the consequences of certain decisions. The president angers me with his choice to oppress women and exclude them from oppurtunities and rights males are gifted. I also enjoy this author's writing style and you could tell he has educated himself to manifest accurate depictions.
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

The story sounds too close to reality for my comfort, because current U.S. in some other countries, politics seems to be heading towards totalitarian regimes. I don't think I can read this book, but fans of this political thrillers would definitely enjoy it.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

CatInTheHat wrote: 07 Nov 2017, 20:37 It's scary when a book makes you fearful about real-life situations.
Yeah, I second this. After reading the sample and then your review, I am left unsure if this is a book I would read, although it looks quite well written and your review gives it high marks. But the set-up, Sharia law, totalitarian POTUS...they all got my attention.
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

This one sounds like it hits close to home. Thanks for a great review, but watching what’s happening in our country right now is scary enough for me. I think I’ll sit this one out.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
CJones21
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by CJones21 »

It was a really good read. I like the fact that it talks about things that are happening around the world constantly. I would find myself reading the book but not completely because I don't have an eye or ear for political things. But great review all in all.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

I think you're right that this book feels almost prophetic in nature. Hopefully people will heed the warning signs now!
GranPeg
Currently Reading: Once in a Blue Year
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-granpeg.html

Post by GranPeg »

At first I didn't think this would be for me, but after reading the first 7 chapters on Amazon and this great review I am interested in reading this book. I worry about the future world my grandchildren will have to live in. :doh:
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

The premise of the book is as scary to me as The Handmaid's Tale, it's too close to probable than merely possible. I hope that the book is careful not to paint believers of a religion with the same fundamentalist brush.

Return to “Historical Fiction”