Official Review: So Beware by James Hockenberry

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Official Review: So Beware by James Hockenberry

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "So Beware" by James Hockenberry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

So Beware by James Hockenberry is a historical fiction published by HN Books, LLC on August 26, 2017. It is the second installment of the World War One Intrigue Trilogy and has only 48 standard pages (250 words per page). This book can be understood even without having read the first book (Over Here).

This military action story starts in November 1918 and ends in September 1919, spanning over Paris, Berlin and New York. The author gives rare insights into the intricacies that arose after World War One through this riveting fiction. It explores the themes of love, loss, the quest for power, war, death, and deception.

What happens when Allied nations grow greedy and other forces collude with the sore German soldiers that will not accept defeat? The book begins six hours before armistice (truce) between Germany and the Allies is to take effect. Gilbert Martin and Paul Keller of the New York’s elite Bomb Squad unsuccessfully try to stop a bloody battle against the Fritzes (German soldiers) prompted by General Donald Prescott.

The good news of the peace treaty signing spreads amidst celebrations. Talking with Colonel Edward House, Martin learns that the world is but a cauldron ready to burst again into another full-scale war. Will the upcoming war destroy their souls and the relationship they hold so dear? They soon learn it is not only their lives at stake as they fight to navigate the perilous path to world peace.

The book has numerous characters that are well fleshed out. The main characters are Gilbert Martin, Paul Keller, Shannon Keller and Ana Primakova. The dialogue in the book is well written and flows easily through the book. Vulgar words are used in a few instances.

The plot is complex and thrilling. The story has good battlefield depictions with coordinated assaults that form vital parts of the gripping and entertaining storyline. The descriptions were great. I almost witnessed the war as the deafening grenade blasted, breaking tree branches and hurling macabre body part all around Shannon and Ana.

The author paints a vivid picture of the dying and the dead with this story. The book had the longest battle scenes I have ever encountered. There was a battle that lasted two chapters.

The epub version of the e-book that I got was professionally edited. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars mostly because of the drawn-out battle scenes that covered a big part of the story. I recommend this book to readers that love military action, suspense, and would not mind explicit battlefield depictions.

So Beware
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like geoffrey ngoima's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

That is terrific. I am a great lover of military action and loved your review
geoffrey ngoima

Job Njoroge wrote:That is terrific. I am a great lover of military action and loved your review
Yeah, I knew you'd love this one Man Njoro.
Cloe101
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloe101.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Cloe101 »

I also happen to love military action, count me in- a very nice review. I love that the author offers insight into the WW1.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
geoffrey ngoima

Cloe101 wrote:I also happen to love military action, count me in- a very nice review. I love that the author offers insight into the WW1.
You're counted in. Let me know what you think when you do read it.
Rayline koros
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rayline koros »

Change is inevitable
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Military books and movies are up my alley. I like that there is a lot of battlefield action involved.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I think this will afford me the opportunity to learn a bit about world war 1. The review is simple but great. Thanks!
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Return to “Historical Fiction”