Review of The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pranav Dewangan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The Work of My Mother's Hands: A Caregiver's Journey by Dr. Kiplee Bell

Review of The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley" by James P. Sullivan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley by James P. Sullivan is a historical fiction tale set in the 1700s about the life of Irv Wiley and all his adventures. This is the first book in the author's book series.

To maintain control in Ireland, the landlords employed "undertakers," backed by the Crown of England, to administer and extort rent from the Irish peasants. Due to drought and flooding, the Irish people suffered from starvation, disease, and malnutrition. Irv Wiley was one of the people facing such issues. When Undertaker Paisley kills his grandfather and assaults his aunt, Irv says enough is enough. He teams up with his cousin Tim and decides to take revenge on Paisley. Irv kills him, and now he and Tim are on the run from the British Redcoats. While on the run and living in the streets, they decide that the only way to properly escape their past is to enlist in the English Army themselves. This book contains his adventures, starting with how Irv and Tim, along with other friends, will join the army. Will they survive in the army? Will the past catch up to them? Read the book to find out.

I appreciated the narrative approach of this historical fiction, which is unique in that the author continuously gives minimal spoilers about the storyline by teasing what will happen in the future. For example, when Irv meets a person and the author says that, the two eventually become closest friends. The story also contains mystical or supernatural elements that increase the mystery and engagement. Irv was a brave and inspiring figure from beginning to end. The portrayal of wars and intense fights was excellent, and it added tension to the reading experience. Much of the plot revolves around the army and the battles and struggles of Irv and his friends. The book contains love interests and their struggles in their professional as well as personal lives. Being historical fiction, the story had an educational as well as emotional impact on me. The story was engaging throughout the book.

The only drawback of the book is the unprofessional editing. I found several typos throughout the book. If the author can work on that, this book will be almost flawless.

I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I have deducted 1 star due to the unprofessional editing. I recommend this book to fans of history and historical fiction, as I believe it has a lasting educational and emotional impact.

The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Naushin Moledina
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Seduction and Securities of a Billionaire by Hadley Jayne
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

You have flawlessly blended the likes and dislikes in your review and I really appreciate your transparency. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

I have stated taking interest on historical fiction. It is not bad at all . You must have went through an emotional rollercoaster while reading this book. It sounds amazing I'm willing to try it out .Well done on your review
Be yourself and nothing less
Loner Pen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loner-pen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Loner Pen »

Hey y'all! After reading this review of "The Never-Ending Adventures of Irv Wiley" by James P. Sullivan, it seems like a pretty good read for fans of historical fiction. The author skillfully combines historical events with a gripping narrative, filled with adventures and mystical elements. The protagonist, Irv Wiley, is a brave and inspiring character, and the portrayal of battles and wars adds excitement. The only downside mentioned was some editing issues, but overall, it's worth checking out. Happy reading, y'all! Dynamic characters, felt alive and vibrant.

Return to “Historical Fiction”