Review of Sunflower Underground

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Hoplites of Leith by Gordon George Kinghorn

Review of Sunflower Underground

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sunflower Underground" by Richard W. Coad.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The invasion of Ukraine by Russia has been the talk of the day. It begins to question whether the old Soviet Union has truly been disintegrated. While we ponder the tumultuous love-hate relationship between Russia and Ukraine, Richard Coad takes us back to the time he spent in Kyiv. Between 1995 and 1999, the author had three spells in Ukraine. He shared his experiences, from academic to social to political.

"Sunflower Underground: A Kyiv Memoir" by Richard Coad is not the regular memoir you are used to reading. The author added a fictional touch to this memoir. While most of the things he shared happened, some characters, timelines, and details were altered to create a dramatic effect. However, I couldn't differentiate the fictional parts from the non-fictional elements; everything blended so well that I would not have believed had I not read it in the author's notes. This spoke highly of the author's writing prowess and ability to craft amazing stories.

The three spells of the author's sojourn in Ukraine had highlights worth reading. The author was attracting attention to himself without knowing. In the first spell, he attracted the attention of Professor Korolyuk, which eventually put him on Professor Harris' radar. In his second spell, he attracted the attention of some folks in the mathematics institute who were unhappy with the strides he was making. In his third spell, he attracted the attention of the Ukrainian government in a way that readers would not see coming.

I liked that this memoir was not one-dimensional. There were so many aspects of the author's story that added spice to the narrative. The author's social life was well described. He also had a good sense of humor, which he sprinkled sparingly throughout the book.

There was nothing I didn't like about the book, so I'd rate it five out of five stars. I'd recommend it to folks who would love to read an Englishman's account of his four-year sojourn in Kyiv.

Sunflower Underground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Loner Pen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loner-pen.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Loner Pen »

This review paints a compelling picture of "Sunflower Underground: A Kyiv Memoir" by Richard Coad, highlighting the author's skill in blending fiction and non-fiction seamlessly. The reviewer found the book engaging and captivating, with various aspects of the author's life in Ukraine, including academic, social, and political experiences. The memoir's multi-dimensional nature and the author's sense of humor were appreciated. The reviewer gave the book a five-star rating and recommends it to those interested in an Englishman's four-year journey in Kyiv. Overall, based on this review, the book appears to be a great read. Powerful themes, explored with sensitivity and depth.
Charmaine Mahlangu
Favorite Book: Defining a free man from a black stream
Currently Reading: Save the Last Bullet for God
Bookshelf Size: 95
2024 Reading Goal: 500
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Charmaine Mahlangu »

This is more of a political genre. Sounds really interesting . It's just not my cup of tea. I am surprised you finished the book. Well done on your review
Be yourself and nothing less

Return to “Historical Fiction”