Review of Master of the arts

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review of Master of the arts

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Master of the arts" by Doug McPhillips.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Master of the Arts, Doug McPhillips intricately weaves the tapestries of history, philosophy, and fiction into a captivating narrative that transcends time and geography.

Master of the Arts is a historical fiction novel that explores the life of Rustichello da Pisa, a companion of Marco Polo, during their imprisonment in Genoa. While the narrative primarily focuses on Rustichello's intellectual and philosophical journey, it also skillfully introduces Marco Polo's extensive adventures and astute observations in Asia. The connection between the two narratives is Rustichello himself, who, despite being imprisoned, was responsible for documenting Polo's epic Asian journeys. Set against the backdrop of medieval Europe and Asia, the novel delves into themes of resilience, the pursuit of knowledge, and the intertwining of Christian and Islamic civilizations. McPhillips portrays Rustichello as a Renaissance man, navigating through personal loss and societal upheaval, all the while contributing to a legacy of knowledge and cultural exchange that bridges diverse worlds.

What I mostly enjoyed about this book was Rustichello da Pisa’s pilgrimage on the Camino Way, which offers more than a historical journey; it provides a deep dive into his personal philosophy. The narrative reveals how life’s trials—illness, loss, love, and even moments of folly—are not obstacles but essential tests that forge our identities. Rustichello suggests that without these challenges, life would be dull and meaningless, a flat road to nowhere. I appreciate how he emphasizes the importance of learning from every experience, particularly the painful ones. Forgiveness and unconditional love are portrayed as crucial lessons in opening our hearts and understanding trust. Through his reflections, Rustichello not only confronts his own flaws but also illustrates how each encounter and event shapes who we are and who we become.

The only drawback I noticed was the persistent grammatical errors, including issues with capitalization, misspellings, and punctuation, which slightly tarnished my reading experience. These errors occasionally disrupted the engaging narrative that the author skillfully crafted. Despite these issues, the content of the book is thoroughly entertaining and would benefit greatly from meticulous professional editing. Additionally, I encountered some difficulties distinguishing between Rustichello's journal entries, written in the first person, and the author's own sections, written in the third person, due to the lack of proper punctuation marking the transitions.

This book caters to a wide range of readers, from historical fiction enthusiasts and philosophy and theology buffs to fans of character-driven narratives. Master of the Arts explores significant religious themes against the backdrop of the Crusades, offering deep discussions on faith, divine providence, and the philosophical underpinnings of medieval thought. While it focuses on Christian characters and themes, the narrative's exploration of the intersections of religions and their impact on society and personal growth has universal appeal. It's particularly resonant for Christians but also engages those from different religious backgrounds or with a secular interest in history and philosophy.

Having said all this, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. The only drawback has been the grammatical side, which led to a deduction of one point from a perfect score. I still think Doug McPhillips leaves readers with a poignant reminder of how our hardest challenges shape the core of who we are, urging a reflection on the interconnectedness of faith, history, and personal evolution.

Master of the arts
View: on Bookshelves
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a book that is very interesting. I have previously read a historical fiction novel set during the same time period and am personally interested in hiking the Camino de Santiago someday. I might choose to pass on reading this one though due to the persistent grammatical and formatting errors as I find those very distracting while reading and agree that they detract from the reading experience. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Julie Basil wrote: 05 Jun 2024, 21:28 This sounds like a book that is very interesting. I have previously read a historical fiction novel set during the same time period and am personally interested in hiking the Camino de Santiago someday. I might choose to pass on reading this one though due to the persistent grammatical and formatting errors as I find those very distracting while reading and agree that they detract from the reading experience. Thanks for your thorough and honest review!
My pleasure. Should you decide to read this book despite the grammar issues (possibly in a future edition with fewer errors), I think you'll appreciate Rustichello's arduous pilgrimage. The journey is detailed with numerous rest stops, local customs, and legends, which should particularly interest you.

Return to “Historical Fiction”