Official Review: Elephant Dreams by Martha Deeringer

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Elephant Dreams by Martha Deeringer

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elephant Dreams" by Martha Deeringer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people dream about running away to the circus at one time or another, however for sixteen year-old Fiona Finn it becomes an unintentional reality. While living in squalor on the streets of New York City, Fiona’s dad tries to force her to become a prostitute in order to fund his alcoholic habits. After escaping her father, Fiona seeks sanctuary at the Church of the Ascension and discovers an ally in a social reformer named Charles Loring Brice.

Appalled at the way Fiona has had to live, Charles secures her a spot to head out West to Texas on the Orphan Train. After a series of crazy events and a shocking run-in with a circus elephant, Fiona discovers a future that she had never allowed herself to hope for. From the moment we meet Fiona Finn in the young adult novel, Elephant Dreams written by Martha Derringer, one is immediately drawn into her world.

With never a dull moment and written in first person perspective, the reader feels as if they are following in Fiona’s foot steps and experiencing everything as she does. We’re able to witness the beautiful scenery of Texas and the colorful lives of the circus people through Fiona’s wonder-filled eyes. The dialogue is amazingly vivid which complements the gorgeous descriptions and settings of the novel and gives the readers a world in which to immerse themselves into. I felt as if I could feel the Texas heat as I was watching the strong man lift his weights and the trapeze artists flying through the air.

I absolutely adored this novel; I couldn’t find a single thing to dislike about it, other than of course the characters we are meant to dislike. The secondary characters were just as well rounded as the primary characters, leaving the reader with a feeling of contentment at the end of the novel. Each character brought his or her own three-dimensional personality to the novel, giving me a reason to either love or hate them passionately. Elephant Dreams also has the feel of a professionally edited novel. If there were any grammar or editing mistakes they were so minor that I completely over-looked them.

While the novel is recommended for people ages 12-18, I definitely can see many adults get ample enjoyment out of this novel. It is well written and heart-warming while still offering a satisfying ending. Because of all of these good things, I give Elephant Dreams, 4 out of 4 Stars. Honestly, I wish that I were able to give it a higher rating.

Elephant Dreams
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Adamache
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Adamache »

Waaaoooh. It's amazing how the author described the characters in this novel and her unexpected adventure, which she never knew would become a part of her.4 Stars dude
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I must be a kid at heart because this sounds like something I would enjoy. I can't believe (well, I know it happens but it's still a shame) that her father tried to get her to go into prostitution to support his habit. Absolutely horrible. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I love stories where the protagonist overcomes many challenges. Add the fact that I have a high interest in the orphan trains of the 20th century makes this one sound like a winner.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
bookportal
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookportal.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by bookportal »

Exciting review! As a Texas girl myself, I wonder what part of the state was Fiona's destination. And the Orphan Train has always been a topic of interest, as well. This book has to go on my to-be-read shelf. Thank you for the highlights.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
RJ65051
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj65051.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by RJ65051 »

Awesome review provided! The details about this book were amazingly written and sharing is greatly appreciated!
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thank you for sharing your review. This sounds like a great book to read and your review was very well done. I look forward to reading this one myself.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I don't approve of circuses in today's day and age, but in this context it sounds like a really great book. Love an author who can transport you to a setting. Thank you for the review!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Well Acwoolet, you've got me convinced. I really liked your flavorful and delicious review. And I love YA books that adults can like also. I'll give it a read.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
greenwood

Post by greenwood »

Elephant dreams, wonderful review, makes me want to read the book. A life of a girl with challenges but over come because she is determined. Although recommended for kids, adults need to read to acquire some knowledge in child up bring.
ayesha grace

Post by ayesha grace »

i love this book.. ?
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I think I will have to ignore the age recommendation! This book sounds wonder-filled. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Murmuring Letters
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-murmuring-letters.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by Murmuring Letters »

You are right, everyone dreams of running away and joining the circus, I remember when I was I kid, that's exactly what I wanted to do! This story seems so interesting and heartwarming, thank you for writing such a lovely review of it! I'm glad you didn't find anything wrong with it. And I like the fact that even the background characters are well written, that's usually not the case in most novels.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Job Njoroge »

It's a shame the lengths that some parents are willing to go for money without minding the morality of their actions or the consequences of their acts. Great review.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book tackles such a weighty matter. I'm glad you enjoyed. Thank you for the informative review.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Historical Fiction”