Review of Salvation

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Review of Salvation

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Salvation" by David Spear.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Salvation” by David Spear is one of the most touching books I’ve ever read. Matthew Hobbs is a young boy who lost his two elder brothers, Albert and Arthur, to the war. At eighteen, he voluntarily gets conscripted into the army to avenge the deaths of his brothers and those from the Twickton Company. Upon meeting Major Peter Church, his life takes a different turn than expected. Grab a copy for the full details.

This book discusses a lot of issues like love, family, revenge, the aftermaths of war, and the need for peaceful resolution between countries. Engaging in a war is extremely dangerous, as it causes great loss on both sides. Many generations will be lost, and bright futures will be destroyed. I was horrified at the number of soldiers who lost their lives in the process.

From the book’s title, I was curious to find out the author’s motivation behind the title, and I was glad to discover it. The book definitely befits this title, as that name was a ticket to Mathew’s first taste of wealth. I commend Spear’s writing style, as it is engaging and easily comprehensible. Despite the length of the pages, I couldn’t put it down until I was done with it. The book’s plot is unique and like one I haven’t come across in a while. I wasn’t expecting the plot twists that occurred throughout the book. It’s quite impressive to discover that a lot could happen within a short period of time. Again, I was intrigued by the number of dark secrets that were kept hidden for a very long time.

I didn’t find any dislikes to spot in this book. The main characters were properly developed and had human emotions, just like any other human being would. The plot is also creatively unique and expertly written, which makes the book stand out. For these reasons, I award it a well-deserved 5 out of 5 stars, as there’s no justification to deduct any stars. I found minor errors while reading, which didn’t affect my reading experience in any way. This makes me believe that the book was professionally edited.

I highly recommend it to lovers of action, thrillers, intrigue, and shocking plot twists, among others. Again, readers who are interested in horse racing and vivid descriptions of war and its horrors will equally find this book an interesting read. In addition, the level of foul language displayed makes it most suitable for adult readers.

Salvation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nwachukwu Somto
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwachukwu-somto.html
Latest Review: Embrace the Challenge by Akwasi O Ofori

Post by Nwachukwu Somto »

I appreciate your acknowledgment of the well-developed characters and expertly crafted plot, which, combined with minor errors that didn't detract from your reading experience, reflect the book's high quality and professionalism.
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

Matthew Hobbs' journey in 'Salvation' is a powerful exploration of loss and redemption, with plot twists that continually surprised me.

Return to “Historical Fiction”