Official Review: For Beau by Simon Gandossi

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: For Beau by Simon Gandossi

Post by shish_by_design »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "For Beau" by Simon Gandossi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For Beau by Simon Gandossi is a beautiful story about espionage, that was simply beautifully written with such admirable, brave, and inspiring characters that are guaranteed to leave an imprint on one's soul.

As this spellbinding, historical fiction with the pace and intensity of a thriller unfolds, we are treated to a story about
how a woman's love for her country and her passion for revenge propels her to join the resistance in WWII.

The story is told in the form of a narrative in 2009 by an elderly woman called Sarah Ashdown, who is being interviewed by the local TV about her life as a soldier in the resistance. As Sarah recounts her story, we learn that she was just an ordinary housewife/teacher when the war began. But then she witnesses the death of a young girl who was very dear to her and feels responsible. This event makes her realize her true purpose and propels her to leave her country along with her closest friend and family behind in order to join the French resistance in France, where the war was most severe, and help them fight against the Germans.

I had a little trouble connecting with the story in the beginning
as I felt it was a bit dragging, but I kept on reading and I am glad that I did so. Simon is a very skilled writer with a beautiful prose. He brought the story to life in the most amazing way. He juggles both stories expertly so that the reader gets a peek into Sarah's present life, and the people she's in contact with without getting them confused with the people in the narrative. I liked how he portrays the changes in the characters during the war, how they lose their innocence and naivety. The depth of emotions, both love and hate, for various characters in this book blew my mind.

It was fun to watch Sarah gain both internal and external strength. Sarah's character is well drawn, painted in the shades of gray. She's not depicted as a saint, yet she has some strong redeeming qualities. One of the many aspects I liked about this book were the descriptions of life in England, France, Germany and Austria during the war. Learning about spy craft during that era was also very interesting. As in the case of most war stories, there are brutal scenes vividly described in this book. I didn't agree with the author's justification for some of the killings, but it made me appreciate Sarah's strength and courage more.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Its a masterful work of historical fiction that shows a great deal of research and some actual historical details. The author does an excellent job of setting the atmosphere, and provides a clear image of what life was like during WWII in Britain, France and Germany.

I recommend this book to any spy/espionage enthusiast and WWII buffs. I do not recommend this book to anyone below the age of 18 as some of the scenes are a little too graphic.

For Beau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like shish_by_design's review? Post a comment saying so!
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for the review. I'm not really into books set in WWII, but this does sound like it might be a good one.
peace starts with a smile...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do love a good spy story especially with a woman lead. Great review. I'll look at this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This book is not my usual genre but your review has me wanting to read it. You can tell just by how you have written your review how much you enjoyed reading this book. Very well done! I look forward to reading this one myself.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks for your review. At first I thought it was actually a true story, but as I continued to read, saw that it was fiction. It looks like one I might like and it is a little different from my usual espionage/spy dramas that I read.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

We never really hear of strong women of the WWII era. Sounds like an interesting book.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Mercy Bolo wrote:We never really hear of strong women of the WWII era. Sounds like an interesting book.
I think that's the most appealing part of the book. I will probably check this one out.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by shish_by_design »

Thank you all for reading my review. I hope you get around to reading it cause you won't get disappointed.

-- 28 Sep 2017, 10:15 --
Zelinda wrote:Thanks for your review. At first I thought it was actually a true story, but as I continued to read, saw that it was fiction. It looks like one I might like and it is a little different from my usual espionage/spy dramas that I read.
I actually felt the same way too, and am so glad you tried it. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. :)
lampard
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by lampard »

Am not much into stuff of world war but i like it when someone tries to fight for what they believe in. I guess i will give it a try
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

I love a good story with a strong female lead. Thank you for your review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

WWll was a nightmare. I think schools should include such readings in college so that our youth may be moved to fight against WWlll. The world doesn't need another war.
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

Well-written review indeed, high-five to that. It did what it's meant to do i.e. making one want to read the book. I personally, am in fact a WWII buff for days, and the last book I read, 'The Legion of the Damned' by Sven Hassel is also on the same tip; a narrative by a German soldier and his experiences in the war. However, if I'm not mistaken, I think the only difference is that this one is a true story.
I guess, reading this book would make a nice follow-up to the WWII narrative stories theme... Straight to the shelf!
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Return to “Historical Fiction”