Official Review: Men, Wars and Sex of the 60's

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Men, Wars and Sex of the 60's

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Men, Wars and Sex of the 60's" by Lowell Hamilton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Men, Wars and Sex of the 60’s is a memorable book written by Lowell Hamilton.

The book is divided into two stories between two men, that of Rudolph Lee Wilfang and that of his son, David Allen which comprises the greater part of the book.

At a young age, Rudolph Lee fell in love with Ellen May Frazier. Shortly after they had started a life together, Rudolph Lee enlisted in the navy as America joined the Second World War. After completing his military services, Rudolph Lee went home to his lovely wife to pick up where they left off. However, a tragedy struck which left Rudolph Lee a broken man.

David was a sweet and handsome boy. Behind his innocent visage, however, lay fear and a profound loneliness brought about by the unfortunate circumstances of his birth. As if that wasn’t enough, another tragedy befell his family which made his life even less cheerful. With no other more attractive options, David joined the air force and ended up with another disappointment. His discharge from the military was his first exposure to civilian life. Totally clueless about a lot of things, David found himself in unfamiliar San Francisco surrounded by long-haired hippies in bell bottoms and floral shirts.

This is, generally, a very interesting book with a multitude of subjects including the military life, discrimination against men of color, religious fanaticism, rebellion in the Congo, alcohol abuse, unconventional sexual practices and the mob.

What I like most about the book is the numerous references to actual events such as the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Ku Klux Klan, the assassination of former Pres. John F. Kennedy, the Vietnam War and the Flower Children. I find it not only interesting but also informative and entertaining. In addition, I find some parts genuinely intriguing especially the reference to former Pres. Lyndon Johnson’s possible involvement with JFK’s assassination.

Moreover, the book is much more than I expected. For one, I find the part about David’s birth specifically moving and touching. It describes the ultimate pain of losing the very reason of one’s existence. Second, I enjoyed the part about various kinds of organized religion. It is informative and enlightening. Finally, I find the ending immensely satisfying, exactly how I like endings to be.

However, I find the book extremely long with an inconsistent pacing from excitingly fast to ultimately dragging. Moreover, there are even more irrelevant details than those which actually make the book interesting. These make the plot of the book a little vague and ambiguous. Furthermore, the book is written in what I assume to be resembling the actual manner of speaking in the author’s hometown in Tennessee thus teeming with they was, there was instead of there were. Finally, there are several noticeable errors in the entire book including misspelled words (sense instead of since, conscious instead of conscience), missing words and improperly placed quotation marks.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, amusing, entertaining and informative. I recommend it to readers who enjoy war stories. Some sex scenes, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

Men, Wars and Sex of the 60's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

You left me with a lot of questions, such as the unfortunate events surrounding David's birth. Thanks for the non-spoiler. Since I grew up in this era, I'm interested to see what the author has to say about it. You did a great critique; thank you.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, I also enjoy when the author uses so much history in this type of story. There are a lot of great themes here as well. It's too bad it's so long with the inconsistent pace. Great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

This sounds like an interesting book that could still use a little work. Thanks for the review.
peace starts with a smile...
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Zelinda wrote:You left me with a lot of questions, such as the unfortunate events surrounding David's birth. Thanks for the non-spoiler. Since I grew up in this era, I'm interested to see what the author has to say about it. You did a great critique; thank you.
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it :)

-- 28 Sep 2017, 02:50 --
kandscreeley wrote:Well, I also enjoy when the author uses so much history in this type of story. There are a lot of great themes here as well. It's too bad it's so long with the inconsistent pace. Great review.
Thank you very much. It's a great book albeit extremely long with too many details.

-- 28 Sep 2017, 02:50 --
Snowflake wrote:This sounds like an interesting book that could still use a little work. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. I enjoyed it despite my issues.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

The book seems good. It is bad that it is too long.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It sounds like the author really knows his subject, making it all the more interesting.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I enjoyed your review and the book sounds intriguing. Thank you.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

The Researcher wrote:The book seems good. It is bad that it is too long.
It sure is. Even better if cut a little shorter.

-- 29 Sep 2017, 04:42 --
CatInTheHat wrote:It sounds like the author really knows his subject, making it all the more interesting.
He sure does and it seems like he had fun when he wrote it :)

-- 29 Sep 2017, 04:43 --
Nthabeleng wrote:I enjoyed your review and the book sounds intriguing. Thank you.
Thank you very much. I enjoyed it despite my issues.
nelordmark
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nelordmark »

I really like how the stories goes. Great job how the author unfold Scene by scene of the story
Ayesha farhat

Post by Ayesha farhat »

i feel it interesting
eleh Micheal
Currently Reading: Justice
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by eleh Micheal »

well thanks so much for the review
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

You left me with so many questions. Thats not a bad thing. In fact, I now have to read this book. Also, if your intrigued about fiction involving the JFK assassination you might enjoy Kennedy's revenge.
Thank you for your review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Miss ejay
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-ejay.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Miss ejay »

Great review.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Danny Praiz

Post by Danny Praiz »