Review: 11/22/63 by Stephen King

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GinaKrause
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: B00NVINE88

Review: 11/22/63 by Stephen King

Post by GinaKrause »

Stephen King rarely disappoints me. His book 11/22/63 is by far not one of those times where I was disappointed. This book is like nothing else he has ever written, and yet at the same time it is still classic King. It is a historical fiction, science fiction, and a romance all rolled into one incredible story. That is quite a combination and Stephen King makes it work wonderfully. I never expected to read such a compelling love story like the one found within these pages, but that is exactly what I got. Kudos to King for stepping into the romance world and leaving with this gem.

Jake Epping’s journey through “the rabbit hole” is nothing like the ne Alice had, but it is still just as bizarre. When Jake travels back in time, under the fake persona of George Amberson, he has one big goal set in mind: stop the assassination of President Kennedy just to see what consequences would come from it. Jake/George knows all the details, does some handy spy work and prepares his history changing move for several years in the past. But what he didn’t plan for was a romance with a school librarian named Sadie Dunhill. And this is quite a beautiful romance that truly does span through time.

This tale definitely brings King’s fans outside his regular world of horror. But King still packs it full of his typical thrills and chills from his bag of tricks. Regular Stephen King fans, and non-fans alike will all willingly go along for this incredibly gripping ride.

Romance aside, this story has plenty of excitement within the adventure of Jake/George spying on Lee Harvey Oswald. As a reader you may get a good idea of what will happen. However, the excitement comes from discovering how it happens. And excitement is what Stephen King truly delivers up until the very end.

As far as time travel stories go, this one is different. Stephen King’s concept of what might happen while time traveling will have you re-thinking any ideas you may have about time travel. King also reinforces the idea that you do NOT change anything in the past, and he does this in a way that only Stephen King can portray. Tread lightly into the past if you are bold enough to go there. If you are so bold, then 11/22/63 is just the book for you.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars.
KeriCraven
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kericraven.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by KeriCraven »

This is a book that I have been thinking about reading for ages. Stephen King has rarely disappointed in anything that he has written. Thank you for your review
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
willo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by willo »

I've finally read it and is even better than the set titled horror movie.

Return to “Historical Fiction”