Official Review: Water Thicker Than Blood

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: Water Thicker Than Blood

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Water Thicket Than Blood" by Saundra Terrell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anyone who ever says blood is thicker than water didn’t have my kind of water in their life.
Water is thicker than blood is a book with dozens of stories in it, each one related at some point. It has 49 chapters, that are enough to ignite a fire of pain, emotions and heart break. Not only that, it also depicts that blood is not always thick when it comes to greed, self-interest and money. It is plotted and drawn into figure by Saundra Terrell.

Johnny Mae lives with her grandmother Martha, after the death of her mother while giving birth to her Little Charlie. Her father, Charlie, has lost into darkness after her mother's death. He doesn't care about his children and is usually away for work. Johnny's brother is being raised by her Uncle Kent and his wife. She always has an interest in sewing that her grandma teaches her. Years pass, Charlie brings a new wife, Pearl, to his home and it is revealed that he just married her because he thought of her as a golden ticket. Pearl leaves him at the very moment but still stays at Charlie's family house. Charlie, as usual, leaves for another golden ticket. Series of events lead Pearl to think of Johnny as her own child and takes care of her after Martha dies. Soon , Pearl's niece, Pearlie's responsibilty is also on Pearl. But that doesn't bother her. She loves both of them and they love her back more. In this journey, the previous life histories of Martha, Charlie, Pearl and other characters are also shown.To know about each story, what happens to all these characters and where their fate takes them, you have to grab your own copy of Water is thicker than blood.

The book is all centered on the colored victims of the. slavery curse, before and after that curse was abolished. In what an inhumane manner the colored people were treated even after when the slavery was banned. It also depicts the hatred that was always there between the white and the black people, and how that hatred costed many lives and fates. What I admired the most was that, in that circus of hatred and killings, there were people who kept their hearts above hatred and opened their doors for the opposite colored people. Like Martha's father invited Luke, who was white coloured but still a Negro, and also gave him a job. Then, there was Doctor Hooper, who was a white man, but he helped Negro patients. That is very admiring.

Moreover, it displayed the true meaning of forgiveness and love. Pearl went through so much of the bad stuff, but even then, she forgave everyone who asked for forgiveness. She didn't stop loving her sister when she had betrayed her and had chosen to run away twice. Furthermore, you come to realize that it is never too late to ask for forgivesness and change even if you are living your last breaths. Louise changed even when her bones had weakened due to her age. Pearl's dad changed when Pearl's mother forgave him. I loved all the positive vibs that were being radiated from the novel.

What took over my mind was that blood is not always thicker when a person drowns intodarkness. Darkness doesn't let him see the blood relations. The novel showed characters that were perfect examples of that like Charlie and Louise. Then, there were those who cared for each other despite different bloods in their veins. How Pearl raised Johnny Mae and Pearlie like her own daughters, would be the perfect example of that.

Well,the novel lost its flavor a little bit when it came to grammatical errors. It had a few errors. Not much, but it had, which made it poor to read to some extent.

Overall, the plot was admirable and it was clear that a lot of hardwork was done on it. I mean that there was a different story behind each and every character that was introduced.I would rate it 3 out of 4 as the grammatical errors don't allow me to rate it more than that. Besides that, everything else deserved an applause. I would recommend it to everyone as I think it is not only for a fraction of audience, but for everyone with a heart to understand the story and feel that love, pain and loss.

Water Thicker Than Blood by Saundra Terrell
View: on Bookshelves

Like Darakhshan Nazir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I've been reading a lot of these kind of segregation era stories lately. I enjoyed from your review, that the premise of better days through hope and forgiveness carries the day. Great review Nazir.
Darakhshan Nazir

I am glad you liked it
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an intense book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Thank you so much for this review. I liked it that it also depicts some history when it addresses the white/black issue.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very beautiful review Darakshan. I totally agree that the water is sometimes thicker than blood.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Darakhshan Nazir

I am glad you guys liked it . Thank you for your time :)
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Every era has its heels and heroes. We can only hope that the heroes far outnumber the heels.

Thanks for this heartfelt review, Darakhshan Nazir!
Darakhshan Nazir

I agree. Thank you for your time
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Thank you for the review, this sounds like a deep book!
Darakhshan Nazir

Yes it is. Thanks for your time though
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

The book deals with heavy stuff, great work in expalining all that.
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Thank you for the wonderful review. Its interesting to learn that blood is not always thicker than water especially when evil sinks in. Great review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Darakhshan Nazir

Thank you for stopping by :)
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Wow. The book sounds intense. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Check out my reviews and tell me what you think

Return to “Historical Fiction”