Official Review: A Season of Deceptions by Virginia Hebert

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: A Season of Deceptions by Virginia Hebert

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Season of Deceptions" by Virginia Hebert.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Virginia Hebert, A Season of Deceptions is a romance and historical fiction novel set in France in 1788, a year prior to the beginning of the French Revolution. The commoners are going through harsh times due to high taxes, a flour shortage, and famine. They have grown tired of the abuses of the king and the aristocracy. As a result, there are rumors of a pending revolution. Catherine Laval, the daughter of a count, pays no mind to all of this talk of revolution. She lives a comfortable and opulent life in the Laval château. She spends her days thinking about expensive dresses and discussing future husbands with Élise. Catherine's life, however, changes completely the evening armed rebels attack a lavish soireé her parents host at the Laval château. She manages to escape the rebels with the help of Edouard Tessier, who makes her wear servant clothes to hide her identity. Edouard says they need to travel through the forest on foot until they reach the village of Bezannes. If anything happens to him, she should keep going to Bezannes and find Jean-Marc Pascale, a good friend of his.

After a turn of events, Catherine ends up meeting Marisse Jovilet and Vincent Moreau. She tells them a fake story and that her name is Colette Lavigne. Marisse and Vincent show her kindness and generosity. The three of them become great friends. Catherine experiences and witnesses the hard realities of the commoners' lives during her time with them. Also, Vincent and Catherine fall in love. A time comes when Catherine needs to decide what to do. Is it safe to tell them who she really is? Is it better for her to continue her journey to Bezannes and find Jean-Marc Pascale? Is she going to be able to marry the love of her life?

My favorite aspect of A Season of Deceptions was how Virginia Hebert developed the character of Catherine, who matures throughout the story, giving her dimension. She grows from being a conceited young lady to a strong woman who understands the hardships of people less fortunate than her. This change happens because she goes through a series of difficult experiences that make her reflect about the commoners' lives. She also witnesses suffering, hunger, and poverty.

The development of Catherine's character was possible because the author was successful at describing the lives of commoners during the time leading up to the French Revolution. I really enjoyed imagining life during this historical time while reading this book. The author's knowledge of French history comes through in a clever manner. In fact, the author is a retired French teacher, who has traveled numerous times to France.

I also liked the main themes of this story, which are deception, revolution, and love. Catherine has to deceive people in order to protect her identity, but she discovers she has been the victim of a huge deception. How these deceptions unfold is the intriguing aspect of the story. Explaining why the revolution is coming to France is a constant theme as the story moves on. The readers get to understand why the commoners could not take abuses anymore. The theme of love is developed sweetly as Catherine's feelings intensify for a man she is not supposed love because of aristocratic rules.

What I liked the least about the book was that it has more than a few typos, grammatical, and syntactic errors. In addition, some sentences have missing or additional words. I think that the book needed a final editorial revision.

I rate A Season of Deceptions 3 out of 4 stars only because it has more than a few typos, grammatical, and syntactic errors. If the book had gone through a final editorial revision, I would have given it the 4 stars because the story is absolutely good. The story has deceptions, a blossoming romance, and a pending revolution. I recommend this book to those who enjoy historical fiction to understand better a historical time and those who cannot resist a romance novel with a sweet love story.

A Season of Deceptions
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

Thanks for a great review,a great book based on a Catherine's journey to growth and love.I love reading books of this genre and cannot wait to read it.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I love history, I'll definitely enjoy reading about the French Revolution. Nice review.
Isaac Obeng Ebu
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-obeng-ebu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Isaac Obeng Ebu »

I love this story as it talks about how a love between two people developed during the harshest of times. I am particularly interested in the choice that Catherine will make, that is continuing her journey to find Jean-Marc Pascale or she will stay by the side of the love of her life. I am already dying to read this book. thanks for the review
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but I've always been interested in France. This sounds like one I might enjoy. Thanks for a good review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
imi_30
Currently Reading: The Thread
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imi-30.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by imi_30 »

omg,i definitely would love to read it
first of all i liked when you gave us a Brief about the author
and how her knowledge about french
i also liked in your reviewing how you made us want to read it even if some of us don't like
the historical fiction novels
i looooooove historical and fiction novels so i really want to read it
thank you dear :)
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

Thank you for such a well written, informative review. I love historical romances. I can't wait to learn more about the French Revolution through the eyes of Catherine.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Themes around history will get my vetting any day. I am certain this book, anchored on 1788 French Revolution, will make an enjoyable reading.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

I like historical genres, but France revolution in the 17's? Doesn't seem encouraging.Nice review though.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Reminds me of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, there wa even a French part. I love historical romances and I would pick this one anyday. Thanks for an enthusiastic review.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like such adventurous novels set in history. The story line is also one I would enjoy reading. Thanks for your review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Sounds good to me, I like the themes of character change ...
great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

0719672189 wrote:Thanks for a great review,a great book based on a Catherine's journey to growth and love.I love reading books of this genre and cannot wait to read it.
Catherine's path to maturity is an important element of the story. It is a good romantic and historical fiction read. I am sure you will enjoy it!

Thanks for reading my review!

-- 13 Sep 2017, 14:50 --
juliusotinyo wrote:I love history, I'll definitely enjoy reading about the French Revolution. Nice review.

The author knows a lot about French history because she was a French teacher and went to France with her students many times. I am sure you will!

-- 13 Sep 2017, 14:52 --
kandscreeley wrote:It's too bad about the errors, but I've always been interested in France. This sounds like one I might enjoy. Thanks for a good review!

Yes, it is too bad because I would have given the book 4 stars. I really enjoyed the story.

-- 13 Sep 2017, 14:57 --
imi_30 wrote:omg,i definitely would love to read it
first of all i liked when you gave us a Brief about the author
and how her knowledge about french
i also liked in your reviewing how you made us want to read it even if some of us don't like
the historical fiction novels
i looooooove historical and fiction novels so i really want to read it
thank you dear :)
I like finding information about the authors of the books I read to understand why they write the stories.
I think that reading an entertaining book while learning about history, in this case French history, is a great way to learn.

I am sure you would enjoy it!

-- 13 Sep 2017, 14:59 --
The Dizzy Diva wrote:Thank you for such a well written, informative review. I love historical romances. I can't wait to learn more about the French Revolution through the eyes of Catherine.
Thanks for the kind words and reading my review!

Yes, in this story the reader learns through Catherine why the commoners decided to fight against the aristocracy .

-- 13 Sep 2017, 15:02 --
Alicnim wrote:Reminds me of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, there wa even a French part. I love historical romances and I would pick this one anyday. Thanks for an enthusiastic review.
I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series. I am sure you will enjoy this book!

"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Historical romances are a favourite genre of mine. You wrote eloquently. I will definitely read this book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

The adventure of a spoiled-brat. That's what I will title the book as! Just kidding. Anyways, I think this book has a nice plot to it and theme. And I also like to know what happened in the world before I was born! Thanks for the review, hope you take a moment to view my latest review.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Return to “Historical Fiction”