Official Review: The Drifters by Tonya Holmes Shook

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Official Review: The Drifters by Tonya Holmes Shook

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Drifters" by Tonya Holmes Shook.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are anything like me, then you love history. Do you ever think about your ancestors? Especially how they lived? Or what they had to do to ensure their survival? What about your lineage? There are always many surprises in this one, irrespective of your current looks. Black becomes free, White goes to war, and Olive skin becomes Melungeon, in The Drifters: A Christian Historical Novel About The Melungeon Shantyboat People, by Tonya Holmes Shook.

Harriet Holmes has just been married to Canady – a shanty-boat man. They both hail from mixed racial origins (Melungeons). Harriet has to quickly adjust to her new life aboard the cramped houseboat. The shanty-boat people are despised, evident with how Canady is viewed by his in-laws and with further interactions thought the book. The new environment may be too much to bear for the young pregnant bride. She misses her expansive home and familiar surroundings.

Harriet reluctantly begins the life of drifters. Sailing, trapping, and trading along the rivers in the Southeastern United States. This life is initially liberating for Harriet, with fewer commitments and duties on-board. However, with mounting family responsibilities and a rapidly changing world, old means don’t cut it for the young couple. Faced with the option to continue a meager existence as a boatman over a farmer, Canady chooses the latter and settles in Arkansas – just in time for the American Civil War.

The rest of the story takes you through the settler life during that tumultuous period – a case of more tears than laughter. This will be an emotional roller-coaster unlike any other. Will the Canady family be able to keep it together in the midst of war? Or will the sudden and brutal loss associated with warfare prove too much to bear?

This book had a befitting title, The Drifters. Harriet’s family was on the move most of the time, even after giving up river life. Prior to reading this book, I'd never heard the word Melungeon. They are a tri-racial people initially found in Southeastern USA. Despite their darker complexion, they were considered free people of color during the racial segregation days.

This book is one of those tales you will NOT forget for a long time. I sympathized with their challenges, shared in their brief joys, and broke down in their times of tragedy – and they were many! There were times I dumped the book vowing not to continue after someone died (brutally of course). Only to return with renewed hope, much like Harriet – before another tragedy to befalls them. Tonya Holmes Shook, elicited emotions in me I never thought I had. I thought about my grandfather who fought WWII with the British in Burma (Myanmar). The horrors he saw (but never spoke of), that eventually led to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Anyone who has gone through war can identify with the strife. Physical violence, rape, and murder (including of minors) are themes explored in this book. Sensitive readers beware!

The initial pace of the book was slow, but it picked up later during the Civil War – a welcomed relief. The main characters were well developed. I was impressed with the meld of a fictional story and non-fiction characters. I almost forgot the story isn’t real and wanted to email my condolences to the author. The character whose quest captivated me the most was Canady. As a family man, I can identify with some of his challenges. Canady’s losses and his drive to succeed in his role despite insurmountable odds were commendable.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am still in awe with how I became so attached to the characters. However, the book had many grammar errors.The worst were in word separation, such as itwould pg41, Canadydidn’t pg47 and Sheremembered pg59. I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction genre.

The Drifters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Haha, man, your review had me laughing from the middle there. The challenges you mentioned reminded me of the slave TV series like Root and Underground, that's sth that would make me want to put a book down too &...
Grat review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:Haha, man, your review had me laughing from the middle there. The challenges you mentioned reminded me of the slave TV series like Root and Underground, that's sth that would make me want to put a book down too &...
Grat review
Ah yes, Roots was a good one. Come to think of it, Canady is quite similar to Kunta Kinte...

This story made me cry. It's just too sad. Took me a week to read, am usually much faster.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting story with great characters that you can really relate with. Thanks for another good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Thanks for your kind words. For reasons am yet to understand, these characters really got to me.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

juliusotinyo wrote:
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Haha, man, your review had me laughing from the middle there. The challenges you mentioned reminded me of the slave TV series like Root and Underground, that's sth that would make me want to put a book down too &...
Grat review
Ah yes, Roots was a good one. Come to think of it, Canady is quite similar to Kunta Kinte...

This story made me cry. It's just too sad. Took me a week to read, am usually much faster.
I can relate, watching Kunta go thru all the vile things life lashed at him with, I was feeling kinda sick in the head & heart. Good art/works/productions ought to be like that
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

I appreciate an author/producer who can evoke such emotions on me.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I also love history. This book is definitely worth checking out.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Thanks Mercy, let's hope you can handle the violence.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Wars are brutal. We cannot fully imagine what the people who were there lived. This seems like a very sore book. I don't think I'm ready to read it. Thanks for your vivid review!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

I understand Kalin, this is a very sad story. The violence and hatred meted down is extreme. Thanks for stopping by.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

Hi, Fandom 8) I can't stand war stories, especially violence on women and kids.

I was wondering where you were! Tough read?
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Alicnim wrote:Hi, Fandom 8) I can't stand war stories, especially violence on women and kids.

I was wondering where you were! Tough read?
Tough? You have no idea! You'll​ need therapy after you are done. Much like Game of Thrones fandom :D
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

A touching and personal review. I like your style. Becoming attached to characters as if they were real is my favourite part of reading, although it can be pretty painful at times!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:A touching and personal review. I like your style. Becoming attached to characters as if they were real is my favourite part of reading, although it can be pretty painful at times!
Yeah, this is the type of book that takes you into the story. An unwilling participant in the carnage, I loved and hated this effect. A great read indeed.

Return to “Historical Fiction”