Official Review: The Drifters by Tonya Holmes Shook

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Re: Official Review: The Drifters by Tonya Holmes Shook

Post by KlareAllison »

I find the title of Tonya Holmes Shook's novel, The Drifters: A Christian Historical Novel About The Melungeon Shantyboat People, absolutely captivating. The book appears to have the right mix of themes for me; family, history, race and religion.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

KlareAllison wrote:I find the title of Tonya Holmes Shook's novel, The Drifters: A Christian Historical Novel About The Melungeon Shantyboat People, absolutely captivating. The book appears to have the right mix of themes for me; family, history, race and religion.
:tiphat: ?
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

:tiphat:
KlareAllison wrote:I find the title of Tonya Holmes Shook's novel, The Drifters: A Christian Historical Novel About The Melungeon Shantyboat People, absolutely captivating. The book appears to have the right mix of themes for me; family, history, race and religion.
Hi Klare,
Yeah the book offers all these. I may have failed to mention this in my review, but the Christian elements were very little. Almost in passing, none of the protagonists were Christian. Only towards the final pages does religion start to become a strong theme.

-- 16 Sep 2017, 09:02 --
Ayosinmi wrote:Hi Julius, it took me a while but I'm finally here.
Nice review by the way, it got me cracking... Nice one dear friend.
Let's see if I can get a review out soon too. Cheers dear
Ayosinmi,
Glad to have you back. I'd missed you, thanks for your continuous support. This book was too emotional, there's a spinoff title I've seen on Amazon am trying to get a copy.
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

This isn't my typical genre (I love it when it comes to movies, though), but your review is definitely causing me to consider this particular book. I love when characters and books leave a lasting impression on the reader. Thank you for your insightful review.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Christina Rose wrote:This isn't my typical genre (I love it when it comes to movies, though), but your review is definitely causing me to consider this particular book. I love when characters and books leave a lasting impression on the reader. Thank you for your insightful review.
Thanks for your comments. This book leaves such a lasting impression. Am still strung, 2 weeks later.
sj_robert
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sj-robert.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by sj_robert »

Melungeon people? I've never heard of them. I think we live in an age where identity is taking a strong presence. I appreciate the author's skill in invoking such strong emotions. But, this is not for me. Great review Julius.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Historical fiction is one of my favorites, and this sounds like an interesting book. I love reading about different cultures and time periods.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Thanks Mindi for stopping by.
AdaJude
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by AdaJude »

An origin story about the Melungeon people. I had to google that. I must say, 'black' comes in all shapes and hue. Identity is also important I guess, but am not willing for some PTSD right now. I'll skip this title.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

I agree. Not the easiest book out there but it's not that bad. I try the politically correct option in supposedly racial debates. But the Melungeon people were free in pre and post racial segregation America. Some even owned slaves. Same as their ancestors still do in northern Africa I guess.

Return to “Historical Fiction”