Official Review: The Lady and the Minstrel

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingrebecca.html
Latest Review: Weak Love and Strong Love by Hollie Jean Huff
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Official Review: The Lady and the Minstrel

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lady and the Minstrel" by Joyce DiPastena.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lady and the Minstrel is a tale about Marguerite, daughter of a baron, and the lowly minstrel she falls in love with at her betrothal feast. Lord de Villon, Marguerite’s father, has forced Marguerite to get engaged to the Earl of Saxton, a man with much power and an advisor to the king. Marguerite’s father wants a powerful connection to the king; Marguerite wants a man she can love. The haughty and unfaithful Earl of Saxton only wants the extensive lands Marguerite will inherit upon their marriage.

When the minstrel, Robert Marcel, sees the Lady Marguerite de Villon while playing music at her betrothal dinner, he recognizes her as the young girl who helped him escape into the woods seven years ago. After speaking treasonous words and punching the lord of the manor where Robert and his family worked, Robert flees to the woods. There Marguerite, running away for reasons of her own, helps Robert escape from Lord Christopher. Seeing Marguerite all these years later, Robert wishes to thank her for her kindness.

After the two speak, they cannot help but keep seeing each other in a secret glade in the woods. Against Robert’s better judgement, they fall in love. Though he is a free man, he knows he is not her equal. Marguerite, eager to marry a man who is not only handsome but also kind, overlooks Rob’s lowly status. Trials, wars, sickness, murder accusations, imprisonment and near death encounters follow the couple as they try to find a way to be married.

This story is so much more than a romance. I grew more and more attached to the characters as I learned their backgrounds and their greatest desires. More than anything, Robert wants to live life as a free man. Though his father bought Robert’s freedom from the lord of the manor when Robert was a child, Rob is still not free to marry whom he wishes or live how he pleases. I identified with Robert as he craved freedom above all else. Though we are mostly free in this world today, there are still those who seek to control us through what they think of us or how they think we should live our lives. We must challenge ourselves, as Rob did, to be true hearted and live the way we believe we should, in spite of the ridicule we may receive.

Joyce DiPastena combines the very best of romance, adventure and history to create a breathtaking story of beauty, evil and love. I could write this entire review with nothing but praise for her work. Some of my favorite elements were the sweet but desirable way she depicted romance. There are no explicit sex scenes here. I was grateful to find a book like this. So many are peppered with nudity and two people jumping in the sack before they even know each other. I also liked the way Joyce made not only the dialogue but the very writing of the book in the style of medieval speech. This style created a relaxing pace, and I sank deeply into the story. I was taken back to my younger days when I would soak in the beauty of castles, ladies and knights. Joyce’s description of their bejeweled gowns, the vast stone fortresses, and the bustle of the villages created colorful pictures in my mind as I read. I love the way she wove historical events into Robert and Marguerite’s story. The book has been well researched. The pace speeds up consistently as you move through the book. During the final third, I was in such suspense as to how everything could be solved in the remaining pages. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There is nothing about it that I disliked.

I rate The Lady and the Minstrel 4 out of 4 stars. Having found only one or two typos, I would say this book has been professionally edited. I could tell Joyce put a lot of work into writing this one. I’m also pleased to find out she has other books as well. I will be checking those out promptly.

I recommend this book to those who love historical fiction, specifically the Medieval Era. I found the length of the book and the descriptive passages similar to Outlander. Those who have enjoyed that series might enjoy The Lady and the Minstrel. If you do not care for lengthy books or stories set in 1214 England, you may find this a difficult read.

The Lady and the Minstrel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ReadingRebecca's review? Post a comment saying so!
* *I miss snow!* *
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Lovely review! You got one sure buyer of the book. Your writing style is very eloquent.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I tend to be kind of picky about the books I read. This was a great review, but I still can't decide if it's a book I would enjoy. I do enjoy reading about the Medieval era. I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

The Researcher wrote:Lovely review! You got one sure buyer of the book. Your writing style is very eloquent.
Thank you so much, Researcher. I hope you like it as much as I did.

-- September 8th, 2017, 8:11 am --
kandscreeley wrote:I tend to be kind of picky about the books I read. This was a great review, but I still can't decide if it's a book I would enjoy. I do enjoy reading about the Medieval era. I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks!
Good thing about books like this is they can tend to have a large sample read since the book itself is long. Maybe that will help you decide, kandscreeley. :) Let me know what you think if you decide to read it.
* *I miss snow!* *
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like a great story with well-developed characters. I do tend to enjoy the Medieval time period as a background in novels.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

CatInTheHat wrote:This sounds like a great story with well-developed characters. I do tend to enjoy the Medieval time period as a background in novels.
You may enjoy this one then, CatInTheHat. It is exactly that!
* *I miss snow!* *
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

An epic love story. I like that there is no sex and nudity.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Mercy Bolo wrote:An epic love story. I like that there is no sex and nudity.
Same here, Mercy. Finally a book where you don't have to keep your guard up every second against elements you don't want to read about.
* *I miss snow!* *
geoffrey ngoima
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I'd like very much to go thru this romantic journey just like you did, ReadingRebecca,
Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I would like reading this. The medieval era, adventure, romance and the history is all cool. Great review!Thanks.
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I'd like very much to go thru this romantic journey just like you did, ReadingRebecca,
Great review
Thank you, Geoffrey. The historical setting was wonderful for it.

-- September 9th, 2017, 9:46 am --
Quinto wrote:I would like reading this. The medieval era, adventure, romance and the history is all cool. Great review!Thanks.
Thank you, Quinto. I highly recommend it.
* *I miss snow!* *
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I love historical fiction and the Middle Ages so this is a book I would surely like. I am also intrigued by the author's use of medieval speech. I can tell by your great review that you really enjoyed reading this story.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

Yes, I sure did, Yolimari! It was magical.
* *I miss snow!* *
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

geoffrey ngoima wrote:I'd like very much to go thru this romantic journey just like you did, ReadingRebecca,
Great review
Ditto! (This is from another favorite love story, Ghost.)
Rebecca_Rivera
Currently Reading:

Post by Rebecca_Rivera »

I've never seen/read that one, Miriam. Is "ditto" from there or the quoted phrase?
* *I miss snow!* *

Return to “Historical Fiction”